Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2017 02:00

Creaky noise during printing

My Dell C1765nfw has started to make a loud creaky noise when it prints a page. At first the pages were also torn in the top right-hand corner, but that has not happened in the last dozen times. The same happens when I copy a page. The noise seems to come from inside the top right of the printer. I've opened it up as much as I can while it prints, but I can't any obvious problem. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how it can be cured?

• 

16.7K Posts

November 13th, 2017 05:00

alanbundy,

You can click the link below to download the online manual. The manual may help identify  the part that is making the noise. You may need to contact Dell phone support to setup to have the printer serviced and repaired.

Dell Phone Support

Dell 1765nfw Online Manual

14 Posts

November 18th, 2017 04:00

I looked through the online manual, especially the trouble shooting section, but could not find anything corresponding to the problem I have. Can you suggest a specific section/page of the manual I should look at, or some other source?

The creaky/screechy noise happens just before the paper is fed from the MPF to start printing. I, therefore, assume is is something to do with the paper feed mechanism.

• 

16.7K Posts

November 20th, 2017 08:00

alanbundy,

The paper feed may be needing replaced. Call Dell Printer Support at 1-800-624-9897. Have you also tried different paper in the tray?

14 Posts

November 23rd, 2017 03:00

I have tried many different kinds of paper, but with the same result.

14 Posts

December 16th, 2017 03:00

The situation has now taken a turn for the worse.

I always had trouble with the cyan toner. It nearly always fails to print the top part of one column on the LHS. It ran out a few weeks ago and I replaced it with a fresh cartridge. Yesterday, the printer demanded that I replace this nearly new cartridge. I tried the obvious fixes of turning the printer off and one, removing and replacing the cartridge, etc, but nothing made a difference. Defeated, I replaced the cyan cartridge with a recently bought, brand new one. I noticed a lot of split toner, which I cleaned up.  But I got a similar error message. This one said:

"Low Density, 093-921 Printer, Check Cyan Cartridge, Restart Printer."

According to the manual, 093-921 is just an instruction to replace the cartridge, so not much help about the underlying cause.

After fiddling with the cartridge some more, I eventually got a prefix to this error message,  that I could print in back and white. I tried this and it worked, although the print-out was of poor quality, especially in the top RHS. Shaking the black toner cartridge made no difference, so it does not seem to be anything about the distribution of the toner.

One piece of Good News is that the creaky/screechy noise does not happen when printing in B&W. This suggests to me that the noise was caused by some fault in the cyan feed, so that when cyan is not being used, there is no problem. But it also looks as it using the cyan feed has been making the problem worse, so that it will not work anymore.

My printer seems to have accumulated so many problems that I fear that getting it repaired will cost me as much, if not more, than the cost of a new printer. I only bought it in April 2014, so I'm unimpressed with its quality.

So, I'm now in the market for a replacement printer. It needs to be multi-function (print, copy, scan), laser

and colour. Since this is for home use, not to heavy would be an advantage. Any recommendations?

1 Message

August 2nd, 2018 21:00

My C1765nf just started making a cranking noise during printing.  It did it after it ran some self cleaning thing that it does.  It sounds like the roller and it is super loud.  I have tried to locate it but unable to see while it is turning. Other than this NOISE everything else is fine.  Sad that this is happening.  Any help ideas?  I'm hoping we have a printer tech in our area that may want to look at it but I'm not sure anyone does this any longer?? 

2 Posts

August 7th, 2018 09:00

My C1760 just started this crazy load creaking jittery sound every time I print.  Also happens when I eject and re-insert a toner cartridge.  Like it's the mechanical rotation to get toner out of the cartridge and ready to apply.  All cartridges out/in make the same crazy noise

1 Message

February 12th, 2020 06:00

My Dell E525w is doing the same thing. It is so loud when printing. I can't find the source. I purchased in 2016. I will deal with it until it totally quits on me. I don't have any other issues and it's the perfect print/copy/scan for my home office. Hate it's making this horrible sound. Did anyone in this chat find a solution?

No Events found!