Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2011 00:00

DELL 3-1 PRINTER A960 HELP!!!?

Hello:

I'm hoping someone can help me. I bought a printer last weekend on sale for an excellent price. But when I got it home and hooked it up, I realized it didnt have an install disc inside. So I called the store back to find out if they had another printer like this in stock with a disc but they didnt. I explained my situation and they told me to contact Dell which I did only to find out that this printer is no longer under warrantee (I should have known, huh?)

Anyway, I spoke to a Dell tech and tried to get an install disc from them but to no avail. He did however, give me the Dell website that might have the drivers for download. I immediately tried this but the drivers dont seem work either if I was doing it right

My question is, does anyone have an install disc for this printer? I'm not even sure there is a disc but no one will tell me otherwise. I cant take the printer back to the store since it was on sale and its no longer under warrantee with Dell. The only thing the printer does is copy from a hard copy but I cant print anything documents already stored in my computer, not too mention I havent event tried to fax anything cause thats a whole other ball game and since I have DSL, it probably wont work anyway.

So I'm back to sqaure One. Can someone please walk me through this process? Also, is there a install disc that comes with this printer because thre wasnt one when I bought it

I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks Becca

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 28th, 2011 04:00

Becca,

Make and model of your computer and operating system is helpful. 32-bit or 64-bit?

Also provide the virus program and firewall you're using.

Rick

4 Posts

October 28th, 2011 11:00

Hi Rick:

First off, I want to say thank you for responding to my yahoo post regarding this issue. I would have never known to come here had you not told me to so, thanks a bunch. :-)

Per the information you asked for, the make and model of my computer is Gateway E-200, OS is XP Professional and I beleive its a 32 bit. My virus protection is AVG 2012 and I dont think I have a firewall but I'm not sure.

I guess you can tell how old my system is by my stats and as soon as I can, I'll get a new one but untill that time comes, I have to keep this one up and running.

I hope this info covers the info you asked for.

Thanks again,

Beccan :-)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 28th, 2011 16:00

Becca,

Sorry for the delay, just got off work.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs from the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the XP 32-bit drivers. Install the XP drivers. You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell A960 All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7) (When downloading the drivers, please use Internet Explorer and download the drivers, in your browser.

Also try reading...

Allow Wireless Printer Blocked by AVG 8.0 Firewall

Let's stop at this and you should be able to print. We'll discuss how to scan/fax after you have this completed.

Rick

4 Posts

October 29th, 2011 11:00

Hi again, Rick:

Thanks for the above info. I was able to download the patch and it did prompt me after cleanup to restart my computer. I also downloaded and installed the XP 32-bit driver but I never got a message that my printer was not connected but I went ahead and connected it and turned the printer on.

It came on as it did before but passed that, nothing happened except that I got a message to:  "UNLOCK SCANNER THEN PRESS POWER". Not sure why this keeps coming on because according to manual, when I raise the top, the scanner is already unlocked.

Also, shoudnt there have been an installation disc that should have come with this unit?  Because in the manual, there appears to be a Dell Solution Center that allows you to move about and shows you how to set up. Another thing thats curious to me, when I try to "ADD PRINTER", there is no printer that relates to Dell in  the setup but it says:  'IF YOUR PRINTER IS NOT LISTED,  PLEASE CONSULT PRINTER DOCUMENTATION FOR COMPATIBLE PRINTER SOFTWARE.  Which I have not come across yet. But I will go thru it again to see if I've missed what the compatible emulation is.

Rick, I think I made a big boo boo in buying this printer. It was at such a great price that I thought I was getting a deal but this is causing me a lot of grief and I dont know where to go from here.

Maybe I did something wrong or missed a step but its not giving me what I want and I dont know how to turn of off the scanner message when the scanner is already unloacked.

Anything you can do to steer me in the right direction would be most appreciated and thanks you for all your help thus far.

Beccan :-)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 29th, 2011 13:00

Baccan,

Is the operating system installed in English?

Not sure where the scanner lock problem is. Try page 11 in the Dell A960 Printer Owners manual.

AVG had been a problem with printer communications, since they changed it a year or two, ago. Turning off the firewall and/or changing the settings to communicate usually help. You're not using anything like a third party firewall, like Zone Alarm on the Xp system?

I usually don't have too many problems getting the printer to install. One we get the printer installed and printing, I have been working on a solution for the scan/faxing issue.

Rick

4 Posts

October 29th, 2011 23:00

Hi Rick:

I want to thank you for your time and efforts in helping me solve my printer issues. I am happy to finally report that I got its working.

YAAY!!! :emotion-2:

What happened was, the USB plug slipped out the back of the printer and when I went back there do some troubleshooting, there is was on the floor. The moment I plugged it in and turned the printer on, I automatically got the message that 'NEW HARDWARE HAS BEEN FOUND". From that point on, I just had to followed the prompts and it was on from there.

I still havent figured out why it doesnt print in black ink. So far, I have to use color to prlnt in black but thats okay for now because everything is up and running and I can troubleshoot it from here.

Again, thank you very much.

Beccan  :-D

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 30th, 2011 00:00

Beccan,

Are you using Dell Series 2 ink cartridges? Can you copy a document under the glass? Black and white and color?

In order to scan and fax, you'll need to click on the blue PudgyOne on the next page, click send message and send me a message. I have a solution to get that working.

Rick

No Events found!