Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 25th, 2012 09:00

Dell 1130 on Mac OS X Lion

I've got a Dell 1130 laser connected via USB to my MacBook Pro running OS X Lion.

The first thing I print comes out OK. Any subsequent print jobs are entirely ignored by the printer, although as far as OS X is concerned they're sent OK and disappear out of the print queue.

The printer will warm-up as if about to print, but then just stop. The status light stays green, as if everything is OK.

I've tried various things without success, including installing the latest printer driver from Dell's site, and using the Samsung ML-2525 driver (the Dell 1130 is a rebadged ML-2525), and updating the printer's firmware. Nothing fixes it.

If I boot into Windows via VMWare Fusion and connect the printer to the virtual machine, it works fine. It'll print job after job without an issue. So I don't think it's a hardware fault anywhere along the line.

A fix is to remove and reattach the USB cable after each thing I send to the printer, but this is a pain.

15 Posts

May 28th, 2012 14:00

Have you tried using the Generic PCL driver of MAC from the drop down list?

May 29th, 2012 06:00

If I use Generic PCL absolutely nothing comes out of the printer! It doesn't even appear to be receiving data.

117 Posts

June 7th, 2012 16:00

This printer is a GdI printer so it will not work with a PCL or PS driver. Since it is working well with the windows box I would reccommend a firmware update. When the 1130 first shipped it required a firmware flash to be mac compatible.

June 12th, 2012 06:00

The firmware offered by Dell was actually OLDER than the firmware already in the printer! Anyway, I installed the older one and it still didn't work.

At the moment I'm wondering if I should try and install the Samsung ML-2525 firmware, but I can't find this online anywhere.

117 Posts

June 12th, 2012 12:00

you might try running the samsung driver to see if that makes a difference. if your warranty is still valid you might try talking to dell's chat support for some best effort help. Unfortunately Lion isnt listed as a supported OS on this unit just yet, but as far as I know the printing changes between 10.6 and 10.7 were not major.

2 Posts

June 20th, 2012 20:00

i just hooked up my  1130 to macbook and tried the samsung 2525W driver and it worked.  thanks for the help.

2 Posts

October 1st, 2012 15:00

how do you get the samsung driver and use it for the dell?

October 2nd, 2012 08:00

This works. 

When installing the driver for the Dell 1130 on OS X, DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT DELL DRIVER -- not the one on the CD, or built into OS X. 

Instead, click the USE drop down list after detecting the printer, then select SELECT PRINTER SOFTWARE. 

A new dialog box will appear. Search for Samsung then use the SAMSUNG ML-191x 252x SERIES driver that's built into OS X Mountain Lion (I don't think this will work on earlier versions of OS X). 

This driver seems be work OK, not dropping print jobs after the first one has been printed, although in my quick tests just now it did drop a print job I sent it from Safari. But it's certainly an improvement.

x

2 Posts

At some point while adding the new printer there was a list of drivers I could select from and I found it on that list.   I'm not on the mac at the moment, but hopefully this helps

2 Posts

October 12th, 2012 10:00

i don't get those drivers when i pull up the printer software window. should i try to download the driver directly from samsung? argh.

1 Message

August 9th, 2017 13:00

I  ran in to same issue with Dell 1135n printer from an OSX 10.12 laptop. It too did NOT have Samsung drivers listed by from software selection menu described above.

Found an official apple update for Samsung printer drivers here:

support.apple.com/.../dl905

After installing, the SAMSUNG ML-191x 252x SERIES and a slew of other Samsung drivers were available when installing. using the SAMSUNG ML-191x 252x SERIES driver got everything working.

No Events found!