Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2014 13:00

Dell 1135n Scanner problem (cannot open device)

Dear Support,

I have an issue with Dell 1135n printer/scanner. It is installed on Widows 8.1 (newest drivers from Dell website) as a network printer. When using SmarThru 4.05.41 I am unable to scan any document. When trying to access "scan to" tab I get "cannot  open device" error message. Printing works ok, device is visible without any conflicts in system.

I use another computer in the same local network (Dell laptop with Windows 7) and on this one everything works without any problem. The same settings, the same Dell software. 

On windows 8.1 machine (where problem occurs) I checked settings of firewall (Norton Internet Security) and allowed SmarThru software full access. Also I found info that problem can be caused by file Scan2PC - also gave full access - nothing changed.

Was not successful looking for solution therefore I kindly ask for any suggestion from Your side.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards from Poland

Wojtek

March 7th, 2014 08:00

Hello,

Sorry for the trouble. Were you able to scan the documents through SmartThru with Norton Firewall disabled?

Thanks!

Vineeth
Norton Support

March 7th, 2014 08:00

Dear Norton Support,

Thank you for reply.

Unfortunately disabling completely Norton Internet Security didn't help. Therefore I do not think it is a Norton product issue...

Any other suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Wojtek

March 8th, 2014 00:00

Thank you!

That confirms that it is not a Norton product problem. Did you contact the Dell support team to see if they can help?

Vineeth

Norton Support

March 8th, 2014 06:00

Dear Vineeth,

Yes, I'm quite sure it is not Norton product fault.

I just sent request to Polish Dell support but I was hoping to get some valuable and fast reply here on a forum. Usually every problem occurred before therefore solution is out there. I just need to find it or get some suggestion.

Have a nice day.

Wojtek

105 Posts

March 10th, 2014 01:00

Scanner problems involving cannot open device error is often related to a problem with the driver or a software problem on your computer. If this is the case, the best thing to do is to uninstall and reinstall the software.

My friend experienced this problem once and as far as I know, these are the steps that solved this issue.

March 10th, 2014 02:00

Dear IsaiahJones,

Thank you for reply and suggestion. In fact this is first thing I didn when approaching this problem. So unfortunately uninstalling all software and removing printer completely from system and then installing it again didn't help. Software installation process also went without any issue, device was found on the network but then this scanner problem appeared...

Thanks and waiting for more suggestions.

Wojtek

1 Message

March 25th, 2014 03:00

I have the same Problem. Surface Pro, Dell 1135n, the Printer is working, but not the scanner :(
No Events found!