Highlighted
MilkyJoe
1 Nickel

Dell 1250C problems with sleep mode

Hi there

When this printer (Dell 1250C) goes into sleep mode (amber light) and I boot up or restart the computer (Windows 7 x64), the printer is listed as offline. Sending a print job will not wake the printer, although the manual states that this is supposed to work. Even if I manually wake the printer by pressing a button on the unit, it is offline.

If I look in device manager, there is an error on the "USB printing suport" device. When I then switch the printer off and on, or remove and plug back in the printer USB cable, the printer is detected again, comes back online, and the error on "USB printing support" disappears.

This ONLY happens uning the Dell drivers from the website. They are the latest drivers, 1250c_DRV_ENG_02-04-02-00_02-04-02-00.exe (08/06/2012 MR3, A02).

If I remove these drivers and let Windows update detect and install its own drivers, the printer works perfectly and there is no issue bringing the printer out of sleep mode by sending a job. The problem with using this driver is that some features, such as manual duplex, are not available to select.

I have tried the printer with another computer and I have exactly the same sitaution. Many other people are having this same issue: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3528/t/19435254.aspx

Updating the firmware and disabling “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” on the USB root hubs has not solved the issue. I believe that the Dell printer drivers are at fault. I have seen threads mentioning this issue with other printer models also.

It would be appropriate for someone from Dell to respond to this widespread issue.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Gadgetman496
1 Nickel

Re: Dell 1250C problems with sleep mode

Hi,

I too am having exactly the same issue regarding the sleep mode (amber light) with 2 of these printers. One on XP and the other on Win7.

There are so many users complaining about this on many forums and nobody from Dell appear to be interested? I also suspect it's a driver related issue & think it's very poor C\S on Dell's behalf not to as much as acknowledge this issue and respond to this thread. All the users complaining can't all be wrong?

I'm sure that Dell's software engineers could put this to bed with minimal effort if the will was there? Or maybe Dell know something there customers don't? Maybe it's a fundamental hardware defect that Dell are aware of & have chosen to ignore? The 1991 movie "Class Action" springs to mind.

0 Kudos
MilkyJoe
1 Nickel

It's pretty clear Dell doesn't care about their customers.

When I emailed Dell Technical Support directly via the link on the website, entering my service tag in order identify the product ("Printer 1250c Color Printer"), this is the reply I received after 2 days:

"I would like to inform you that being part of Email Hardware support team, I don't have expertise to deal with Laser printers"

Dell this is pathetic. Please respond, refer the issue to the driver dev team and resolve the fault.

0 Kudos
kiwironnie
1 Copper

Same problem here.   This should have been resolve by Dell by now.  With auto updating, Its relatively easy and cheap for Dell to distribute fixes, so really no excuse.  Black mark to Dell!

Cheers

Kiwironnie

0 Kudos
jrm6623
1 Nickel

I have been having the same problem with my 1250c for some time now as well.  Patiently waiting on Dell for a suggestion.

0 Kudos
jrm6623
1 Nickel

Okay, so I just did the most recent firmware update and that seems to have fixed the problem.  It now wakes automatically when I sent jobs to the printer.

0 Kudos
MilkyJoe
1 Nickel

Hi there; thanks for the suggestion. Are you using the Dell driver (allowing you to see toner levels and print duplex) or the Windows Update driver? I'm already on the latest firmware. If you're on the Dell driver I suspect that if you now reboot your computer (leaving the printer in orange-light sleep mode) and try to print, you will not be able to. You'll have to power cycle the printer or remove and reconnect the USB cable as described above. Please let us know.
0 Kudos
Gadgetman496
1 Nickel

The most recent firmware does not solve this problem Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
whiskerp
1 Copper

I think I may have got this working. I updated the firmware to A03/MR2 (version 0.62), I then did a "Reset to Defaults" in the Tools software, and finally changed both job cancel timeouts on the first settings menu to 0 (ie disabled). These are the two job timeouts below the Sleep and Deep sleep ones. It now bursts into life even if it has been in a deep sleep :-)

0 Kudos
MilkyJoe
1 Nickel

Thanks for the suggestion. I have now updated to the new latest drivers (A03, 15/11/2012) and firmware (MR3 / A02, 09/11/2012), and rebooted. I then followed whiskerp's instructions, and rebooted again.

I printed a document, then waited for the printer to go into sleep mode.

I then rebooted again, and guess what? Error on USB printing support, printing doesn't work. Printer stays in sleep mode. As usual.

Manually brought the device out of sleep mode, then unplugged and replugged the USB cable, and it works again.

Dell should be ashamed.

0 Kudos