Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2008 09:00

Dell 1320 c PDL Emulation problem?

Hello!

This morning when I tried to print a pdf document from my printer it gives me the following error message:

"Error relating to PDL Emulation problems occurs 016-720"

I then have no choice but to cancel print job.

Tried several times but does not work, also tried to print other pdf files and no issues...

Anyone has any ide what this is about?

Cheers,

K

December 28th, 2008 23:00

HI.

I see that this thread is old but did you ever find a solution?  I am having the same problem with my new 1320c from one workstation.  I have tried all available drivers and install packages to no avail. :emotion-7:

I am a Dell Technician (employed by a reseller) so I have opened cases with both enterprise and standard support.  I'll post back if I find a solution but i'm not all that hopefull as I believe it to be a driver issue.  I had a 3010cn before this printer and never encountered this issue (although the error code means the same thing for both printers).  The only thing I could find in the documentation is that the error indicates a corrupt data stream.

I only have experienced the issue when printing webpages from Firefox and AOL browser.  The same documents print fine from IE so i'm stumped.

5 Posts

August 20th, 2009 19:00

Hi, I have had the same problem the past 3 weeks with my Dell 2130cn printer.  Dell support was absolutely NO HELP.

After playing around with this for hours, I finally changed a setting under the Advanced tab in the printer properties to "Print directly to the printer"

Control Panel > Printers > right click on the Dell Printer > Select Properties

Go to the Advanced tab and click the radio button next to Print directly to the printer

Your properties may be different since its a different printer but find that option in your properties and see if that works for you.

Thanks,

Candice

1 Message

November 16th, 2010 14:00

This solution worked for me to.  Change option to print directly instead of spooling.  I had a Dell 1320c with Windows 7 Pro x64 version.

For me to change it:   1. Go to printers/devices.  2. Right click printer and select 'Printer Properties'(not 'Properties').  3. Click on 'Advanced' tab.  4. Select 'Print Directly to printer.

Thanks for your post!

March 22nd, 2011 10:00

Here's something given to me to try and it worked, I have a Dell 1320c printer.

"A simple workaround could be to convert your plan to PDF and try printing that.  This can be done by installing a free piece of software called a PDF Convertor, like Cute PDF which is free from www.cutepdf.com.  Once installed this adds a 'virtual printer' to your system.  You then click print in the Garden Planner, select the Cute PDF Writer printer and click OK.  It then asks where you want to save the PDF and you can then open that saved PDF and try printing that."

Stephanie x

1 Message

July 17th, 2011 15:00

I have this same problem. Dell told me it has to do with Adobe PDFs. They told me to print as an image, that didnt' work, then they said increase the printer memory Dell 3130cn; I increased by 1G; that didn't work, same error. I tried the fix above, to print directly to the printer, that didnt' work. I am still looking for an answer. I purchased this printer specifically to print booklets 50 pages each duplex/color 30 at a time, now I am stuck. I am open to suggestions; BTW when I first got the printer, it worked beautifuly, printed 12-15 40-50 page booklets at a time. no issues.

1 Message

September 6th, 2011 22:00

After updating drivers and firmware on my Dell 1250c , I began getting the following error:

"PDL Emulation problem occurs 016-720"

After rolling back drivers, reinstalling software, etc., etc., I tried the solution posted by "ski2fast" above for the same issue with his Dell 1320c.

---------------------------------------------
1. Go to printers/devices.  

2. Right click printer and select 'Printer Properties'  (not 'Properties').  

3. Click on 'Advanced' tab.  

4. Select 'Print directly to printer.

It worked!  Thanks ski2fast !!  :)

I suspect it may work on the Dell 3130cn as well.

p.s. oddly, other computers on the network were able to print with no problems through out. I think the changes to the driver or application on 5/23/11 (version MR 2 A01) modified this option.   Driver, etc., came from the below link.

support.dell.com/.../driverslist.aspx

1 Message

December 10th, 2012 13:00

I know this is an old post but I just had the problem this week after having my computer in for repairs.  I've never had any problems with this printer before and it's really frustrating when you do have a problem.  I'm so glad I looked for an answer online.  Thank you so very much.  It works perfectly now.

3 Posts

March 7th, 2013 01:00

Interesting that people solved this problem with a setting in Windows 7.  I have no problem using this printer with either Windows 7 or 8, but using the Android "Dell Mobile Print" app.  This app locates my 1320c perfectly and appears to operate correctly, but does not print.  Instead, it generates an error I can see in Windows Status Monitor "Error relating to PDL Emulation problems occurs 016-720".

Suggestions about the Android app?

1 Message

April 2nd, 2013 21:00

Good evening! I have the exact same problem. I have the app and it's so close to printing but gives me an error. I've called DELL and they suggested going to this site for help. I want to ensure I can print from the Tablet therefore if I cannot, I will return it. There is a 90 day return policy if not happy.

Have you tried another app?  I was told HP. I downloaded that one without success. If you happen to figure it out, please let me know. I will keep looking also.

Thanks!

1 Message

July 15th, 2013 06:00

Your recommendation regarding Dell printer error 016-720 PDL emulation problem worked perfectly on my Dell 1250C Laser Printer! Thanks so much for your post. You saved my bacon this morning!

THANKS!

July 17th, 2013 15:00

Please note the solution involves editing the Windows registry.  If you do not know what the Windows registry is, then you are gonna need some techie help.

Ok. HERE IS THE SOLUTION to the Error relating to PDL Emulation problems occurs 016-720 problem.   Its your DELL drivers that are not correct, specifically the PLC version of the drivers and their entry into the Windows registry.  The "print directly to the printer" configuration modification is NOT the solution, but only a workaround that does not work in all applications.  A simple uninstall and removal of the printer will NOT fix it.   

First begin the download of your printer's XPS DRIVERS from the Dell website(DO NOT USE THE PCL VERSION).  While the drivers are downloading, open regedit and search for your printer, in my case "2155cn".  Delete EVERY instance of your printer that is found.  .... there will be many.    When done close regedit and TURN OFF your printer.  Now extract the Dell printer drivers that you downloaded to a known location.   Now reboot Windows.  DO NOT TURN ON YOUR PRINTER UNTIL TOLD TO DO SO.  After you are back to the desktop, open Devices and printers and ADD PRINTER.  SInce mine is a local printer, select that and CREATE NEW PORT.  ( If your printer is a network printer, follow these instructions exactly anyway)  Since mine is on usb, I chose "local port", and  I called this new port "newusb".  In the subsequent Install Printer  window, choose HAVE DISK, and browse to the directory of your downloaded drivers and choose the first file with the inf extension, click ok and your model printer should appear in the next window that opens.  Chose that and follow the prompts to completion, BUT be sure to give this new printer a new odd name that you can easily recognize.........you are gonna delete this printer next....see below..   

Now for the trick.  NOW TURN ON YOUR PRINTER.......  If your printer is a local printer, WIndows will now find your printer and install the correct drivers.    You may now DELETE your odd named printer and make the newly found printer that windows located when you turned your printer on the DEFAULT.  

If you have a network printer, use the same instructions above but specify "Standard TCP/IP port" and after filling in the IP address, BE SURE TO UNCHECK the "QUERY PRINTER" , so that Windows will ask you for the model printer to install by choosing HAVE DISK..  When it does proceed as above and browse to the Dell drivers that your downloaded above.  Follow the prompts to completion and then delete your "oddly named printer" above. Set the default to your network printer.

NO MORE "Error relating to PDL Emulation problems occurs 016-720" or "work arounds".  

February 11th, 2014 11:00

Candice:

This worked for me too! Thank you for the hours you spent on it, because it saved me spending any more hours. :emotion-21:

I've had this printer for quite a few years and the problem first surfaced a couple of days ago. I completely uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers on my Win 7 Dell PC. What a pain.

105 Posts

February 19th, 2014 23:00

It feels great to find solutions by looking through old posts. Sometimes, there are  problems encountered by other people that you can relate to. It's worth taking the time especially once you know that these solutions worked well for others. :emotion-15:

1 Message

May 29th, 2018 18:00

I have a similar problem with an H625cdw where every attempt to print seems to produce one of these errors and it doesn't allow for any other option to continue without cancelling the job entirely. Mostly it has been the 016-720 error, but the result is the same.

wrote:

Hello,

I'm unable to print PDF documents which contain Calibri fonts.

The printer send 116-324 error code and need to reboot.

Sometimes, I see also 016-720 error code, like on this thread : 7120 error printing pdfs

• Calibri's files were copied on the print server but I've got same error
  • I can print if I disable "Advanced Printing Features" but I can't do this on the print server cause users couldn't print in booklets anymore
  • I can print if I choose "Send fonts as bitmaps" but I can't do this on the print server cause files on spooler became too big (3Mo > 2,5Go) and jobs became too slow 

Thanks for your attention.

I can't find where to disable the "Advanced Print Functions" or "Send to Printer As Bitmap" within the Print Server Settings webpage. I would be fine with doing this as no one needs booklet printing while these files are being printed and at times the system can handle overly large spooler files as long as the files get printed.

There are also no options within any OS settings controls or Print Queue controls.

I also cannot find options to "Send Print Jobs Directly to Printer" and avoid the Spooler.

The machines are all running OSX 10.13 and were updated to this OS as recently as 4 months ago.

Problems printing began just this past week, but affect all machines.

Not all machines have the same revision of current OSX updates and/or security updates.

It is unclear if this affects all applications and/or all file types.

It does not seem to be immediately font related as many of the documents use different fonts.

Some of the documents include PDF files created using "Print to PDF" which usually produce text pages as images within the PDF, although that process may have changed. Some of the PDFs were created usinging the Microsoft to PDF internal converter or plugin, some on Office 2010, some on 2013, some on 2008 for MAC and one on 2011 for MAC.

The solution described for this question will not work in this case as none of these computers are running Microsoft Windows OS. Is there a similar setting that I am missing in Apple OSX 10.13?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

@rchamilt wrote:

After updating drivers and firmware on my Dell 1250c , I began getting the following error:

"PDL Emulation problem occurs 016-720"

After rolling back drivers, reinstalling software, etc., etc., I tried the solution posted by "ski2fast" above for the same issue with his Dell 1320c.

1. Go to printers/devices.  

2. Right click printer and select 'Printer Properties'  (not 'Properties').  

3. Click on 'Advanced' tab.  

4. Select 'Print directly to printer.

It worked!  Thanks ski2fast !!  :)

I suspect it may work on the Dell 3130cn as well.

p.s. oddly, other computers on the network were able to print with no problems through out. I think the changes to the driver or application on 5/23/11 (version MR 2 A01) modified this option.   Driver, etc., came from the below link.

support.dell.com/.../driverslist.aspx

No Events found!