Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 22nd, 2009 07:00

Dell 1320c color laser printer

I have a Dell 1320c color printer and everything prints okay except for there is a smear print streak of magenta and cyan about a inch wide along the length of the paper.  The toner levels are magenta 20% and cyan 40%.  Could this be a bad print head devise or what?  Can't seem to figure this out issue and how to resolve it.

1.7K Posts

January 22nd, 2009 09:00

Is the smear an area where the toner seems to be lighter than the surrounding area, or is it darker than the surrounding area?

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 10:00

I ran a print test sheet on white paper and the smear is just as dark as the letters on the test sheet.   

1.7K Posts

January 22nd, 2009 10:00

Try this test. It will show us whether the print defect is occurring before or after the fuser.

Do a couple more print tests to determine about how long it will take the page to just begin to appear at the top of the printer. When you're ready, print another page, try to view the printer from the top-back looking at the paper exit, and place your finger on the front cover button. The moment you see the paper begin to exit, push the side button to open the front cover. This will immediately stop any print activity.

Open the front cover. The paper should be partway up the print path and partially out the fuser. The fuser is the HOT thing at the very top that fuses the toner to the paper using heat and pressure. On each end of the fuser there is a small blue lever; lift each of these all the way up to release the fuser pressure roller.

Now, carefully grasp the sides of the paper and pull it down and out of the fuser, and away from the drum area.

Turn the paper over. Is the entire length smeared? Or just the end that you pulled out of the fuser?

Two points of caution here:

1. All the toner on the page below the fuser is not fused..... meaning..... it will rub off the page with the greatest of ease.
  2. DO NOT leave the front cover open for more that 5 minutes. If the drum unit is exposed to excessive light, it can be damaged.

Is your printer still on warranty?

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 11:00

I will try this and get back with you as soon as possible but one thing is for sure and that it does leave color toner (magenta and cyan) on the two drum units (a inch wide) on the same side it leaves it on the paper, and also on the piece of plastic film like thing on the cover (can't recall what it's called).

No, the printer has been out of warranty for 6 months.

Plus, I found out too that the end user who has the printer was using transfer paper to make iron-on transfers at one point and the toner got stuck on the fuser but supposably it all came off.

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 05:00

Hello llynster,

Just finished this morning running the test sheet as you suggested and the entire length of the paper is smeared and there's some build-up on the drums for the magenta and cyan on the same side the paper is smeared (an inch wide).   

1.7K Posts

January 23rd, 2009 06:00

Sounds like you have one or more damaged drums. I've noticed that Dell doesn't have these available for online purchase, but you can get one thru Dell spare parts. The part number is DT574. It's the entire assembly (all 4 drums) and is called the "PHD".

The 4 purplish things you see when you open the front are the 4 xerographic drums. The black film device that lays down when the front door opens is the transfer belt. The xerographic drums are sensitive to light and very sensitive to physical damage. If you see scratches, pits, smudges or anything on one or more of these drums, you will certainly encounter print quality issues.

No Events found!