As Apple is not supporting 32-bit applications anymore starting with MacOS 10.15 Catalina. Are you planning to update drivers for this model?
For other users, this might be helpful:
1) Ideas from the previous thread https://www.dell.com/community/Printers/Dell-1355cn-Driver-Needed-for-macOS-10-14-Mojave/td-p/619487... do not work due to the fact, that the driver is a 32-bit application, which is not allowed to be executed on Catalina anymore.
2) After searching a lot on the Internet I found this page http://foo2hbpl.rkkda.com/ , which gave a hint that Dell C1765 MFP might be compatible with 1355cn and luckily it is!
3) One needs to remove all printer drivers following https://smallbusiness.chron.com/remove-print-driver-mac-computer-45817.html
4) Then download and install Printer C1765 Installer & Application Dell A07 Mac.dmg from the support page https://www.dell.com/support/home/hu/en/hubsdt1/product-support/product/dell-c1765nfw/drivers
5) Go to printers and select the printer, in the last drop-down named "Use: Choose a Driver..." choose "Dell C1765nfw Color MFP v1.080". Version v1.084 does not work and triggers a fax dialog.
6) With this driver one can print, but scanning is now working though.
It looks, like building a 64-bit versions of these drivers should be not a big problem for Dell, as an alternative version already exists. I hope this will be done by public release of 10.15.
You need to fix this or otherwise the Dell 1355cnw becomes an unusable printer for thousands of small businesses that rely on it.
Any update on this? I have bought this printer Dell 1355cn a few years agio with a bunch of cartridges. Now it looks like I can't use this printer anymore??? Please, can you support me on how to use this printer with MacOS 10.15? You really need to support us on this one...
Well done Bolshevik.
I updated to Catalina last week and spent a fruitless search for the solution to my problems with my C1765nfw printer driver.
I tried Apple Communities without success then I logged into dell.com communities and tried your solution which worked perfectly. It saved me having to purchase another printer supported by Apple.
Thank you again for posting the solution.
Did anyone have a luck having it workin as a scanner on Catalina? It looks, like scanning apps are not detecting it even with the other driver.
Dell Team, so are there any plans to update the driver? Probably it is not the only device almost bricked after updating to a new MacOS.
So is it pretty common for Dell to not respond to an inquiry from three months ago? Good grief. This doesn’t give me much confidence in the hopes of a 64-bit driver...
Good news everyone!
So I have spent some time and even made it possible to scan via Network on Catalina.
The idea is the same as in the original post: C1765 is compatible with 1355 and includes 64-bit versions of the very same applications. So I dug a bit inside and realized, that Image Capture App was using so called ICA (https://www.apple.com/au/main/device_includes/scanners.html) application packaged with drivers. The application from C1765 is also fully working with 1355, one only needs to patch plist files and that's it.
So here are the steps:
1) As mentioned above install drivers for C1765
2) Copy this script into a file and make it executable https://pastebin.com/HXe5iqsK
3) Execute the script
4) Reboot your Mac.
The script will create a copy of the ICA application for 1355 and patch all relevant files. Afterwards you can also just back up '/Library/Image Capture/Devices/Dell 1355cn MFP Scanner (ICA).app' for future use.
After these changes one can both print and scan over network. Probably it should also work via USB, but I have not tested.
What is still open is the TWAIN driver, but it is unclear why it is needed.
PS: Very sad, that Dell discontinued it's printer business and is not supporting it's products anymore... Especially when it is not high effort to do so.
Additional Information: On the MBP in a Parallels Desktop VM Windows 10 is running. Network connection is set up in Bridge-Modus, which means it is not sharing the Macs printers.
From the VM, printing works just fine, using a standard Windows printer installation for the 1355cnw. So the connection problem must be related to the Mac side of the MBP. The network printing itself is working when triggered from Windows.