Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 22nd, 2011 17:00

Dell 1355cnw wireless not activated

I don't see the wireless activated on the printer.  It was there then I changed some setting and it's not there anymore.  Can someone help me.

3 Posts

May 5th, 2012 18:00

I have just spent ALL day trying to figure this out and have FINALLY GOT IT!!!!

I wanted my printer to print via wireless connection WHILE my computer still connected to the internet via my wireless router. That way I could print and surf the net at the same time. 

This is how I did it:

1.  On the printer's panel push the MENU button.

2.  Scroll down to and select SYSTEM

3. Scroll down to and select ADMIN MENU

4. Scroll down to and select NETWORK

5. Scroll down to and select WIRELESS SETUP

6. Select MANUAL SETUP

7. Enter your wireless router's (home network)  SSID and push the check button or enter. IMPORTANT!! *Ensure you enter the SSID EXACTLY how it show's in your router's settings!!

8.  Select INFRASTRUCTURE and choose your router's encryption type (security type).

9. Now you must enter your router's password, but only if you have a secured wireless network. Also IMPORTANT!! *Your password is case sensitive, so enter it exactly how it is for your router!

TahDah!!! You are set to go!!

Good luck to all!

~*Kari*~

*- To enter capitol letters or numbers, continue pushing the selected button on the printer's keypad until you have entered it correctly.

3 Posts

May 11th, 2011 13:00

I've spent the last three days reconfiguring my 1355cnw.  Configuring it though the panel is useless.  I've just now hooked up a USB cable, (because I can, I can't imagine what I'd do if this was on a campus somewhere).  And the "driver" cd I have has no drivers, just pdfs.  This should be as simple as adding anything else to a protected wireless network.

1 Message

October 2nd, 2011 23:00

Very frustrating.  I can't get wireless to work either.  This is the first wireless device I've seen where the device doesn't initiate the wireless connection.  Since I can't see what the printer sees, then it is very difficult to fix it.  Instead some idiot programmer has me hook up a USB cable and try to push settings onto the printer from my laptop.  Of course, since I can't see what the printer sees (or doesn't see, or even whether the printer sees my laptop) it's like tossing a quarter into a cup from across the room -- in the dark.

I spent two hours trying to set it up.  Another hour on the phone with Dell tech support.  They cannot verify whether the wireless is even working.  They say there is no way to test whether the antenna sends or receives.  They sent me a new printer.  I guess that was nice of them, but the second is just like the first.  I think of how expensive this must be for Dell.  Wouldn't good programming be less costly?

This is truly poor design.  My iPhone or my laptop can connect to a wireless transmitter a hundred times a day without problem.  The Dell printer is blind, deaf and dumb.  The dev team should be demoted to sweeping the parking lot, ya know, something without much learning curve.  

1 Message

October 21st, 2011 10:00

COULD SOMEONE FROM DELL ANSWER THIS QUESTION PLEASE!  I JUST GOT MY PRINTER AND IT DOES NOT CONNECT AT ALL!  

3 Posts

October 21st, 2011 10:00

Third printer on the way for the same reason...they can't connect unless you go thru the USB route.  

1 Message

February 16th, 2012 09:00

I am also having the same problem.  When configuring wireless through the panel, the printer says it is connected successfully; however, laptop doesn't see it on the network.  Prints with no problems when plugged in via USB.  The installation instructions are worthless, and the installation wizard just goes around in circles back to the same splash page.  

1 Message

May 31st, 2012 18:00

OMG... Thank You!!!! Sheesh... My lexmark took literally 10 seconds.. This thing was driving me nuts... 

3 Posts

June 1st, 2012 08:00

:)

117 Posts

June 7th, 2012 11:00

Shintogwa is dead on. The other way I suggest setting up the printer is by attaching an ethernet cable to the printer and getting an IP address. Once you have the IP you can enter that on a web address bar to enter the printer's embedded web server. In that page you can change all of the wireless setting and set the IP to static. As a caution though only the ethernet port or the wireless card can function at one time so once it is setup you will have to power the printer down and remove the cable before the wireless function will work. Removing the cable while it is still powered on will not connect.

1 Message

August 27th, 2012 11:00

"As a caution though only the ethernet port or the wireless card can function at one time so once it is setup you will have to power the printer down and remove the cable before the wireless function will work. "

Thank you for this hint! Once I unplugged the cable and re-entered the wireless information it worked - at  last!

3 Posts

September 4th, 2012 10:00

Mine acts as a fax machine and printer. The printer function is wireless and the fax function of course is the internet port. :)

September 9th, 2012 15:00

I have a Dell 1355cnw and have tried your suggestion, unfortunatley it connects for perhaps a day then drops again. So every day I either have to set it through the panel or through my router. I also gave it a static IP address and changed the wireless channel to 11 from 1, then 6. I also changed the dual stack to IPv4, since that's all my router will accept. Still have the same issue. Any other suggestions would be great. It's a great printer, just don't like the dropping of the wireless everyday.

September 9th, 2012 16:00

There are two ways to get back on line. Use your printers panel, click on menu -> system ->Admin Menu->network->wireless setup, then chose to go manual set up or WPS. If you go with WPS you can use your wireless router and enter the PIN number of your printer. If you need to locate the PIN, ask for it to be printed (again on the panel). If you go with manual setup, you need to have your SSID, password and encryption type. You can locate this all from your router if you don't have it. Hope this helps.

2 Posts

May 26th, 2014 16:00

@ SHINTOGWA on 5 May 2012, Thanks for writing this out. I was able to get this, too, and the printer shows up with its correct name. Printing is working through a wired connection to the router where the name appeared as abXXXX (X=I forget). My goal (at my sister's house, her setup) was to be able to scan and send jpgs from scanner to the desktop (not laptop) computer that is on a different floor. But that was not achieved before time ran out.

I have just spent ALL day trying to figure this out and have FINALLY GOT IT!!!!

I wanted my printer to print via wireless connection WHILE my computer still connected to the internet via my wireless router. That way I could print and surf the net at the same time. 

This is how I did it:

1.  On the printer's panel push the MENU button.

2.  Scroll down to and select SYSTEM

3. Scroll down to and select ADMIN MENU

4. Scroll down to and select NETWORK

5. Scroll down to and select WIRELESS SETUP

6. Select MANUAL SETUP

7. Enter your wireless router's (home network)  SSID and push the check button or enter. IMPORTANT!! *Ensure you enter the SSID EXACTLY how it show's in your router's settings!!

8.  Select INFRASTRUCTURE and choose your router's encryption type (security type).

9. Now you must enter your router's password, but only if you have a secured wireless network. Also IMPORTANT!! *Your password is case sensitive, so enter it exactly how it is for your router!

TahDah!!! You are set to go!!

Good luck to all!

~*Kari*~

*- To enter capitol letters or numbers, continue pushing the selected button on the printer's keypad until you have entered it correctly.

2 Posts

May 26th, 2014 16:00

Shintogwa is dead on. The other way I suggest setting up the printer is by attaching an ethernet cable to the printer and getting an IP address. Once you have the IP you can enter that on a web address bar to enter the printer's embedded web server. In that page you can change all of the wireless setting and set the IP to static. As a caution though only the ethernet port or the wireless card can function at one time so once it is setup you will have to power the printer down and remove the cable before the wireless function will work. Removing the cable while it is still powered on will not connect.

Thanks. This should be a big help, too. The printer/scanner is upstairs at the wireless modem/router and the desktop is wireless only. It has stymied a few tech savvy people but I doubt they used these posts.
No Events found!