Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2012 11:00

Dell 3000cn Printer & Windows 8

With the 3000cn Printer not yet supported by Windows 8, what are the options to get the printer to work in a Windows 8 environment?  Printer is networked and works seamless with Win 7 and XP devices.  Printer is still in good condition, so don't want to replace.  Any suggestions??

20 Posts

January 6th, 2013 09:00

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 660  with windows 8 (64 bit) only to find out I had the same dilema.

Is there a solution at this point? Absolutley,  you can use the HP driver "HP Color Laserjet 2605 PCL6 Class Driver".

The 3000cn now  prints color as it should using this driver.

Please note, if you install this driver and you only have monochrome output  you will need to change the PCL "Color Mode" from black to color in your printer panel.

1 Message

July 3rd, 2014 19:00

Thanks!  I did the HP Color Laserjet 2605 PCL6 Class Driver installation and it works!

1 Message

January 25th, 2013 13:00

Tim,

I tried your driver last night, and guess I must not be telling Windows 8 to use it the right way.  How did you actually tell the system to use that driver?

20 Posts

February 1st, 2013 15:00

I really didn't do anything special.

The printer is a network connected printer.

Select “add printer”, select printer with correct IP address.

When the install “printer driver” is displayed you will select “HP” (NOT Dell) as the manufacturer.

Select “HP Color Laserjet 2605 PCL6 Class Driver” as printer.

Click next, select “replace current driver”.

The rest of set-up is self explanatory.

Hope this helps.

1 Message

March 14th, 2013 18:00

Tim,

That worked like a charm.  Thanks.

3 Posts

March 18th, 2013 23:00

The 3000cn printer drivers are available via Windows Update. Instead of selecting HP at the model selection screen, select Windows Update and Win 8 will download current printer drivers. After that, you'll see Dell listed twice under Manufacturer. First as DELL and second as Dell, Inc. Select DELL and you'll find the 3000cn driver there.

20 Posts

March 19th, 2013 05:00

Zakpack,

Selecting Windows update while installing printer yielded no positive result.

Using Windows update under PC settings yielded no positive results.

Went to dell and downloaded drivers. This yielded no positive results.

I did download drivers from Dell and attempted a few compatibility modes without success.

Even though "Dell Inc." is and was present from previous attempts I am not able to utilize the "Dell" driver.

Dell still has drivers dated 5/30/2012.

I did attempt the above this morning 20130319.

What specific driver did you utilize in order to actually print with your 3000cn under Windows 8?

If you had to go through a certain procedure to accomplish this which is out of the norm please let me know.

3 Posts

March 22nd, 2013 20:00

I apologize for the late reply back, the automated email from Dell forum went to my junk mail folder.

I did not use Windows Update under PC settings, I used Windows Update on the driver screen.

Here's what I did:

1) At Desktop went to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Devices and Printers

2) Selected 'Add a printer' from menu bar

3) Win 8 found my printer (which is on a home network and not directly connected to my system)

4) Clicked the 'Next' button

5) Win 8 came up with the 'Install the printer driver' dialog box

6) I selected the 'Windows Update' button next to the 'Have Disk...' button

7) Waited for Windows to update the driver listing

8) After Manufacturer list update I had three selections for Dell

- DELL

- Dell Inc.

- Dell Inkjet Drivers

9) I selected 'DELL'

10) Dell 3000cn PCL6 appeared in the Printers section

11) Selected the printer and clicked 'Next'

12) Asked me to 'Type a printer name' which I left as default and clicked next

13) Selected 'Yes' at User Account Control'

14) Windows downloaded and installed driver

15) Asked me if I wanted to share the printer with others on the network

16) Successfully added printer dialog came up and successfully printed a test page (in lovely color)

Printer shows up under Devices and Printers.

I am running Windows 8 x64.

Hope this works for you. Let me know.

Bill

20 Posts

March 23rd, 2013 18:00

Zakpack,

I must admit, I must have missed something previously.

I am able to print (in lovely color) using the 3000cn driver per your instruction.

Either way we achieve the same result. The less adventuress will most undoubtedly choose the "safer" appropriate route.

In the event someone reads this thread they will at least know if they have another printer that's not Windows 8 compatible they have the option of trying out different vendor drivers that may work.

1 Message

April 18th, 2014 12:00

Windows Update did the trick.  I found the Dell3000cn driver, and installed it w/o issue.  Thanks!

3 Posts

April 19th, 2014 01:00

Glad to hear.

1 Message

May 12th, 2015 09:00

I installed my 3000cn as a 3110cn PCL6, and successfully printed a test page. You might give this a try.

No Events found!