Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2009 09:00

Dell 3100 with horrible faded strip down one side of the page.

I have a Dell 3100 printer with a print quality issue. when you print out a color picture 99% of the page is OK, but there is a faded strip about 5mm thick running down the vertical length of the page, about 50mm from the edge of the paper. The image under the strip is fully formed (You can tell what it is meant to be) but is faded and the color is slightly wrong.

I printed out several sheets of block colours and most of them came out perfect, black, gray, light blue, dark blue, and so on, but the red print (rgb 255,0,0) came out with the exact same faded strip in the exact same place indicating that the faded strip is due to there being insufficient red/magenta in that area. I've shaken the toner up and have cleaned the inside of the printer out, and done most of the normal things but nothing has worked. I know it's not an imaging drum issue as I've tried the drum in another printer and the problem was not replicated there.

It's definetly due to not enough toner getting on the paper rather than due to filth getting on to the page.

Any clues?

1.7K Posts

February 17th, 2009 09:00

Your description of the issue is pretty good, but I need a littel more detail.

Pictures speak a thousand words. DO you know how to add images to the forum? Here's the URL (limit the size to 640x480).

DO you know how to print the 20% density pages? These will give us the best indication of the issue.

Let me know if you need the instructions on how to do these. Need one for each of the 4 colors.

137 Posts

February 19th, 2009 00:00

This is a sample of the error. It doens't show up very well even though it was a high quality scan.

1.7K Posts

February 19th, 2009 09:00

Sorry, not enough info here to really offer good advice for a fix.

Really need you to print the 20% density test pages and attach them to your reply.

To print these pages:

1. Power off the printer.
  2. Press and hold the UP and DOWN arrow buttons while you power the printer on.
  3. The buttons may be released after the LCD indicates "Diagnosing..."
  4. After a few seconds, the LCD should indicate "Customer Mode" and "ESS Diag"
  5. Press the UP or Down arrow buttons to find "Test Print", press the Enter (center) button.
  6. Press the Down arrow button to find and select Cyan20%, or Magenta20%, or Yellow20%, or Black20%; press the Enter button twice to select and print that test page. (note: printers with the newest firmware may have an additional menu item called "ContaminationCHK". Using this item will print all 4 of the 20% density pages for you)
  7. After all 4 print tests have been completed (1 for each color), power the printer off, wait ~5 secs, and power on.

These pages will give me the best method of determining the issue in your machine.

137 Posts

February 20th, 2009 05:00

Here are the 20% images that you wanted. The faded line is "just about" visible on the black Cyan and Magenta but not on the yellow. It appears that all colors along that strip are faded, but you need ot lok at them in good light to make it out o the 20% prints.

1.7K Posts

February 21st, 2009 15:00

I apologize if it sounds like i'm being redundant, or making things difficult, but these small images are no help at all.

Is there a problem with you posting EACH image at it's max allowable 640(w) x 480(h) size?

Also, I just sent you a PM....

10 Posts

December 28th, 2009 11:00

Hello,

I've also been having the same described symptoms with my 3010cn and followed the directions for test print. the scan here shows the regular blotches across the drum on two horizontal lnes. The Magenta and Blue show up clearly along same lines. The yellow is almost distinguishable. The Black has dark horizontal shading but no marks evident. i tried to get more than one scan here, but it would not insert ... Can you please help us detemine what the problem is?  Thanks,

1.7K Posts

December 28th, 2009 12:00

You might have more than one problem, but really won't be able to tell until you can post the 20% density page for each of the colors: Black, Yellow, Cyan, & Magenta.

Use the image insert icon one at a time for each image. BTW... max image width is 550 Pixels.

10 Posts

December 28th, 2009 16:00

10 Posts

December 28th, 2009 16:00

10 Posts

December 28th, 2009 17:00

Sorry, Just realized I could put all four together on one post. Note they are in landscape mode. I think they are all in the same orientation....but not 100% sure about Black and yellow.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

1.7K Posts

December 29th, 2009 05:00

I'm not sure what's happening with black right now either, and yellow is too light to see very well. But, I DO know what's happening with Cyan and Magenta. The Drum Unit cover is coming in contact with the intermediate transfer belt and literally "scraping" the toner from the belt. The equally spaced marks are the mold points on the underside of the cover.

Here's an old post of mine that addresses this problem and a suggested "fix". If you can get the cover corrected, just leave it off.... Of course, that will make removal/replacement of the drum unit a little difficult.

Lets take care of this first then we'll pursue the problem with Black.

No Events found!