Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

May 12th, 2008 18:00

Dell 3100cn printer color streaks all across the page

We have a 3100cn printer and it is printing streaks across the page all the way down the page.  I have attached a photo of the printout for clarification.  There are no error codes on the display.  Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.  Thanks.

Here is a link to a photo of the print result.  http://www.photolava.com/view/g665.html

1.7K Posts

May 13th, 2008 15:00

GOOD JOB adding the print sample. That's great !!

I always say a picture speaks a thousand words..... this one adds up to more than that !!

Incredible. I've been working on lasers for a LONG time and I've never seen one quite like this.

Lets start from basics:

Can you print and post the 20% density samples?

To print the 20% density test pages, do this:
1. Power off the printer.
2. Press and hold the UP and DOWN arrow buttons while you power the printer on.
3. The buttons may be released after the LCD indicates "Diagnosing..."
4. After a few seconds, the LCD should indicate "Customer Mode" and "ESS Diag"
5. Press the UP or Down arrow buttons to find "Test Print", press the Enter (center) button.
6. Press the Down arrow button to find and select Cyan20%, or Magenta20%, or Yellow20%, or Black20%; press the Enter button twice to select and print that test page
(note: printers with the newest firmware may have an additional menu item called "ContaminationCHK". Using this item will print all 4 of the 20% density pages for you)
7. After all print tests have been completed, power the printer off, wait ~5 secs, and power on.

4 Posts

May 13th, 2008 15:00

Hello llynster

Pretty cool huh!  I ran the 20% test for all the colors and all 4 pages came out like the photo linked below.  Incidentally, the toner is not fixed to the paper.  It can be rubbed off with ease.  Hope this gives you some ideas.

http://www.photolava.com/view/g72o.html

Thanks much for your help.

1.7K Posts

May 13th, 2008 16:00

It must be making an incredile amount of extra noise while printing the 20% pages as that test should rotate the carousel to the selected color, lock there, and print the page. To print the banding in this fashion, the carousel must almost be spinning.

The measurement you provided is almost the exact size of the BCR (Bias Charge Roller) inside the drum unit, and close to the size of a Developer Auger.

Do you have a spare (old) Drum Unit you can try?

I fear you have a multiple parts failure situation here. Are you still on warranty?

1.7K Posts

So..... ALL 4 colors produced the same page as that shown in the sample?

Did the first starting color on any of the pages change at all?

Can you measure the repitition rate for one of the colors? For example, what is the distance between the starting edge of a black bar down to the starting edge of the next black bar? (mm preferred)

I've got to admit..... this is the most interesting print sample I've encountered in a long time.

4 Posts

All 4 pages look the same.  There really isnt a black bar anywhere on the pages to measure to.  I measured red to red and came up with about 37-38mm.

I think this thing is landfill foder is what it is sounding like.  Any other thoughts?

1.7K Posts

May 13th, 2008 17:00

I'm going to send you a Private Message.

4 Posts

May 13th, 2008 17:00

It's not any noiser than normal.  I dont have any spare drums and this is the only printer of its type in the office.  We are well out of warranty and it was free to begin with quite sometime ago. 

I appreciate your help.  I think that we will just pronounce this one dead, go 'Office Space' gangster on it, and go the B/W laser route since we dont use color that often and we have another color laser printer in the office.  Thanks again.

No Events found!