Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2006 18:00

Dell 5300 Printer Driver Issue

"I have a strange problem with a PC loosing the Dell drivers for a 5300N printer...I have a workstation that is setup with Direct IP print to 3 Dell 5300N printers...We have an application that runs on the workstation that prints to these printers depending on the situation. The printers will work fine for about 2.5 days, then I get a complaint that the orders are not printing. I remote into this machine and launch the properties of the printer and it tells me that "I won't be able to see all the properties because the driver is not installed, would you like to install the driver?" If I select yes, it acts like it reinstalls the driver but I still can't access the printers. The only way I can fix the situation is remove all the Dell printers, reboot, then reinstall the drivers. Again this works fine for a few days then fails again...I'm at the end of my rope...Any ideas. "

174 Posts

August 20th, 2006 20:00

A few questions, and then maybe we can help

What OS. (2k 2k server xp xp64 2003 server ect)

Are the printer set up static or using DHCP?

Ray Cooper

11 Posts

August 21st, 2006 01:00

The workstation these printers are installed on is WinXP SP2 and the printers are setup as static IP's...JKT

174 Posts

August 22nd, 2006 00:00

Boy I'm at a loss..... I was expecting you to come back with one of the 64 bit os's or DHCP on the ip, but not the case. I don't know what to tell ya. hopefully some one here will have the answer...

Your printing straight to the ip? Not thru a peer share?

Ray Cooper

Message Edited by grcooperjr on 08-21-200606:52 PM

11 Posts

August 22nd, 2006 11:00

Tell me about it, I've been racking my brain for a week now...The PC is setup for direct IP print not through a shared print server.  Thanks for looking...

11 Posts

August 25th, 2006 15:00

I'm not using a print server, these particular workstation is setup to direct IP print to the printers...

2 Posts

Sorry - you said that and I missed it.

Even tho our configurations are a bit different, the symptoms are the same. I was originally thinking it was a problem with Server 2003 R2, but now I'm starting to think it's more driver related.

Since the W5300 is technically a Lexmark, have you checked into their drivers?

Chip

2 Posts

I'm having the same issue. It seems to be related to how many times a user prints to that specific printer. Those users who send multiple large print jobs have the problem, but regular users who rarely print anything are just fine.

Are you running Windows Server 2003 R2 as your print queue server?

November 13th, 2006 14:00

Same problem here, using a 2003 print server.  The victim is our ERP output management software (FormScape).  The 5300 printers just drop from the application servers, you can open the queues but if you attempt to display printer properties you get the 'no drivers installed' message, and the OS cannot find drivers.  If you manually reinstall it *looks* like it works but it does not.

Simply rebooting the application servers fixes the problem, but it might stay fixed for two days, might only be ten minutes.

We're trying other drivers (Lexmark).

11 Posts

November 13th, 2006 15:00

The Lexmark drivers should work, we just used LaserJet 4 drivers and they worked for our application...Jeff
No Events found!