Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2009 12:00

Dell 720 Color Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista computers, until it prompts you to restart your computer.

If using Windows 7 also try...Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

If using Windows 7, use the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista(Try Vista SP2). Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 22nd, 2010 19:00

MH1,

You may first want to run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Did you recently install the operating system on this computer? If so, did you install the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install.

Make sure to disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download and install the XP drivers. You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found in the first thread at Dell 720 Color Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

3 Posts

September 23rd, 2010 02:00

Hi there and thanks for helping.

I installed the operating system about a year ago or more and I haven't had any problems with the running of the computer since. Maybe I'll try installing another peripheral (like a scanner) to see if this one succeeds or not.

In the meantime, I haven't been able to even do the first step of your advice: I can save the .cmd doc all right but when I right click, there is no such thing as run as administrator. I have 'open', 'modify', 'print', etc... and nothing in properties either.

I went individually in all of what they call my printers and cancelled manually all print jobs (there weren't any), and in any case, the Dell printer doesn't show. Does it mean it's removed already?

thanks

MH1

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2010 04:00

MH1,

Sorry, the run as administrator is for Vista/Windows 7. You should be able to just double click on the Delete Print jobs.

It sounds like the printer is removed.

Did you run the removal patch?

Did you download the XP drivers, in your browser? How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager

Are you using a language other than English(US)? If so, different drivers are needed.

See if the printer is still there. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Rick

3 Posts

September 23rd, 2010 10:00

Hello there!

we finally managed to make it work. It was indeed (I think) a problem with the set-up of the language. Once I selected English language when the set-up blocked, instead of the French that was automatically selected, it worked!

Thanks again for your advice and the time spent to help me.

Cheers :emotion-21:

MH1.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2010 13:00

MH1,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. If you need French drivers, drivers should match your operating system, let me know and I'll try to locate some for you.

Take care,

Rick

2 Posts

October 28th, 2010 13:00

Hello,

this is the solution for all "non english" windows version so I think.

Look here this thread: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3528/p/19306927/19769605.aspx#19769605

After two weeks now I can print with my dell 720 inkjet and windows 7 X364 german.

Best regards

Carola

8 Posts

January 4th, 2011 19:00

Bob, I was in your boat, then ran the 64 bit driver posted to the other thread... again Windows 7 told me it wasn't installed, but then the printer started to print stuff.  Don't know how, but there you go.So, don't give up as soon as you see that little red "x."  Wait a few seconds to see what happens.

1 Message

May 4th, 2011 19:00

Thank you so much for providing this information...we really couldn't afford to buy a new printer...and I was feeling like a fool and completely ripped off by Dell and Windows that I have a Dell computer and a Dell printer with the most updated Windows software and I can't print!  I appreciate your wonderful information and I am sure many others do too!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 5th, 2011 03:00

te_100,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

2 Posts

June 29th, 2011 21:00

I don't know if you're still participating in this forum but your old answers have come closest to being helpful so I'll give this a try:

I know;  this question has been asked scores of times. But I have now spent about three hours trying to get my ol' 720 printer to work with my new Windows 7 OS. The Dell drivers page offers a download for Windows 2000, XP and Vista 32 bit, but not for 64 bit which so many people in the forum and other help desks say would work. There is no 64 bit option.

So you and others recommend downloading the R149368 driver - but when I enter that in the Dell search box, it just takes me to the page that offers the 32 bit driver.

Round and round I go with Dell help pages - they could very simply have put up the link to the correct driver after four years of this frustration once Windows 7 came out. Do the smart guys at Dell really think we are going to buy another Dell printer with such poor peripheral support???

1 Message

August 11th, 2011 18:00

PudgyOne you are the greatest. You saved me considerable time, aggravation and the cost of purchasing a new printer. You da man! (Do people still say that?)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 12th, 2011 04:00

prdir,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

9 Posts

August 23rd, 2011 08:00

Gave up after numerous attempts of loading drivers, unloading all Dell drivers etc.  Printer has been sitting in the closet for about six months now.  Bought a new computer that came w/o an OS, so I just cloned the old hard-drive, so same operating system just different box & motherboard.  I thought I would give it one more shot.  It worked on the first try.  I did nothing different than all the previous attempts, so who knows?  Still Win 7 Home Premium, 32 bit.  Used the Vista 32 bit driver, which never worked on previous attempts.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 23rd, 2011 10:00

fourjoe,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. It could have been something corrupt or missing on the old system that was found and installled on the new system, virus protection/firewall or some other issue.

Take care,

Rick

6 Posts

August 25th, 2011 16:00

Dell Printer 720 on Windows7 I also tried to load the Vista driver installed it but i still could not get it to print. Instasllation went OK printer is "ready". Then I try to do it again but new the file did not unzipp succesfult "error 40". Help Please!!!!

No Events found!