Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 13:00

Dell 725 Color Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista computers, until it prompts you to restart your computer.

If using Windows 7 also try...Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

XP 64-bit Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

If using Windows 7, use the XP drivers in the compatibility mode. 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to XP(Try XP SP3). Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 13:00

Unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. This will reset any error messages the printer has.

Plug everything back in and power on the printer. Now remove the Dell Series 6 Color cartridge. Make sure the tape is off the cartridge and reseat the cartridge. Then close the printer and it will print an alignment page. Any error messages?

Dell Series 6 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges

Dell Series 6 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It is possible the cartridge has a bad sensor. Try taking it back to the place of purchase for a replacement.

Rick

4 Posts

December 1st, 2009 14:00

I've completes all the above steps to install my Dell 725 on my Windows Vista 64 bit Inspiron. However when I connect the USB lead as directed I get a Windows notification saying: Deviec driver not succesfully installed. Dell Color Printer 725 pending.... contact printer manufacturer. The "Next" button on the driver installer is grayed out and I can not proceed with installation.

Advice gratefully received.

Zed

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 1st, 2009 19:00

Zed,

What is the make and model of your computer? Please also post back it has Vista 64-bit.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2009 12:00

Zed,

This should work.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista computers, until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Also try...Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Download the Vista 64-bit Drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 12:00

Hi Rick

Its a Dell Inspiron 1545 with Windows Vista 64 bit.

What I think I have probably done is plug in the USB cable from the printer BEFORE I had downloaded the drivers from Dell and tried to get Windows to download the driver without success - an elementary error but how do I resolve it?

Best

Zed

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 14:00

I still get the "Device driver software was not successfully installed" popup. :emotion-6: despite following all your steps above.

Don't really know where to go from here.

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 15:00

Hi Rick

Just managed to fix it - I downloaded and installed the 32 bit driver and its working fine even though I have 64 bit Vista. Thanks for your help.

Zed

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2009 16:00

Zed,

WOW, that's strange. Glad you got it working. Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

3 Posts

February 10th, 2010 06:00

Hi Rick,

I'm having exactly the same problem (although running the drivers on windows 7, 64 bit); I've followed the directions you provided to the letter... but when I get to the point where prompted to connect the printer USB cable to the computer the same error message that Zed experienced pops up.

Any advice/suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Andrew

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 10th, 2010 09:00

Andrew,

What is the make and model of your computer and operating system?

Start, control panel, system. Look and see if it's a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.

Rick

3 Posts

February 11th, 2010 04:00

Its a Sony Vaio VGN-NW26M laptop running windows 7 64-bit operating system.

Tried running the 32 bit driver like Zed did but the same error message still popped up.

Andrew

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 11th, 2010 14:00

Andrew,

Since this is a laptop, then...

Disconnect the printer. Run the patch until you're prompted to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is gone. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Now try this.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

Now try installing the printer using the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode.

Rick

3 Posts

February 16th, 2010 13:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your help so far. Just thought I'd let you know that I'd followed your steps but unforrtunately the fix didn't work.

The same problem keeps re-occuring :(. I think the USB ports are all working fine - because they detect that I have connected the cable to the computer, and the computer starts to try and find the driver software. But at that point the same error message pops up saying that the printer driver software was not installed and that no driver software could be found; and the next installation step is grayed out.

I wonder whether it might be a general problem with windows 7 - I've tried the dell 725 windows 7 specific drivers as well but couldn't get them to work.

Thanks again for your help, if you have any new ideas let me know. I'll re-post if I manage to get it sorted.

Andrew

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 17th, 2010 01:00

Andrew,

If you look closely, you'll see the Windows 7 drivers are usually the Vista drivers and on some other printers might even be the XP drivers.

You need to disconnect the printer. Download and run the patch(cleanup utility) until prompted to restart your computer. Restart your computer.

Firewalls and virus programs can be a problem. Did you try the removal of all the USB devices in the device manager? I have seen Windows say they're working correctly when there is a problem and since this is a laptop, they'll all come back and work properly after the computer is restarted.

Install the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. It you have Windows 7 32-bit, then install the Vistra 32-bit drivers. If you have Windows 7 64-bit, then install the Vista 64-bit drivers from the link I provided. When you install the drivers, you'll get the message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time. If you connect the printer before this time, you get the generic drivers.

Rick

35 Posts

August 27th, 2010 00:00

our last step does not work.  I have a Dell 725 and Windows 7 64-bit and downloaded R149373 which is ment to be the 64-bit windows driver and they do not install.  It says the printer is not plugged in even when it is.  Running as Admin in compatibality mode does nothing. 

As far as I can see there is no way of setting up a Dell 725 to a Windows 7 64-Bit PC.

No Events found!