PudgyOne
6 Indium

Re: 725 Color Inkjet Printer owners thread

Andrew,

What is the make and model of your computer and operating system?

Start, control panel, system. Look and see if it's a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
akirke01
1 Copper

Its a Sony Vaio VGN-NW26M laptop running windows 7 64-bit operating system.

Tried running the 32 bit driver like Zed did but the same error message still popped up.

Andrew

0 Kudos
PudgyOne
6 Indium

Andrew,

Since this is a laptop, then...

Disconnect the printer. Run the patch until you're prompted to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is gone. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Now try this.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

Now try installing the printer using the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode.

Rick

#DellRockstar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
akirke01
1 Copper

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your help so far. Just thought I'd let you know that I'd followed your steps but unforrtunately the fix didn't work.

The same problem keeps re-occuring :(. I think the USB ports are all working fine - because they detect that I have connected the cable to the computer, and the computer starts to try and find the driver software. But at that point the same error message pops up saying that the printer driver software was not installed and that no driver software could be found; and the next installation step is grayed out.

I wonder whether it might be a general problem with windows 7 - I've tried the dell 725 windows 7 specific drivers as well but couldn't get them to work.

Thanks again for your help, if you have any new ideas let me know. I'll re-post if I manage to get it sorted.

Andrew

0 Kudos
PudgyOne
6 Indium

Andrew,

If you look closely, you'll see the Windows 7 drivers are usually the Vista drivers and on some other printers might even be the XP drivers.

You need to disconnect the printer. Download and run the patch(cleanup utility) until prompted to restart your computer. Restart your computer.

Firewalls and virus programs can be a problem. Did you try the removal of all the USB devices in the device manager? I have seen Windows say they're working correctly when there is a problem and since this is a laptop, they'll all come back and work properly after the computer is restarted.

Install the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. It you have Windows 7 32-bit, then install the Vistra 32-bit drivers. If you have Windows 7 64-bit, then install the Vista 64-bit drivers from the link I provided. When you install the drivers, you'll get the message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time. If you connect the printer before this time, you get the generic drivers.

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
goorambatman
1 Nickel

our last step does not work.  I have a Dell 725 and Windows 7 64-bit and downloaded R149373 which is ment to be the 64-bit windows driver and they do not install.  It says the printer is not plugged in even when it is.  Running as Admin in compatibality mode does nothing. 

As far as I can see there is no way of setting up a Dell 725 to a Windows 7 64-Bit PC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
PudgyOne
6 Indium

goorambatman,

The trick is to follow the instructions lovated at...

Dell 725 Color Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)

Using the XP 64-bit drivers in the Compatibility mode, it should work. I just helped another member with this and got it working.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.  Manual Printer Driver Removal

Then download the XP 64-bit drivers and install them in the compatibility mode. You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at Dell 725 Color Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
Bugbatter
6 Gallium

As far as I can see there is no way of setting up a Dell 725 to a Windows 7 64-Bit PC.
Yes, it does. PudgyOne helped me with this last weekend. You have to follow his directions exactly. According to my notes, the printer driver that I used was R115637.EXE.

I hope this helps.:emotion-15:

Windows Insider MVP 2016 -

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2006-2016

Social Media and Community Professional

0 Kudos
goorambatman
1 Nickel

I've followed those instructions and repeted them numerously and they are not working for me.  I have got the installer to go throught the installation, detect the printer etc but installation finishes with no message of completion (should there be?).  The installer just completes and shuts itself down automatically.  There also appears to be no Dell software installed in the Start > All Programs menu.  The Printer is listed in Devices and Printers as Colour Printer 725 and under the category of Unspecified.  It appears Windows is not recognising it as a printer.  The drivers also don't appear to be installed.

0 Kudos
Bugbatter
6 Gallium

In the list in Devices and Printers, are you able to specify it as your default?

Windows Insider MVP 2016 -

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2006-2016

Social Media and Community Professional

0 Kudos