Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2009 13:00

Dell 922 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens..

Please make sure you have all Windows Updates, especially .net framework, (needed to run many applications) and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch (a MUST with Vista machines) to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer.

If using Windows 7 also try...Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

If using Windows 7, use the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista(Try Vista SP2). Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 1st, 2009 11:00

jmlorey,

You disconnected the 922 printer.

Uninstalled the printer. Also did Manual Printer Driver Removal, then restarted your computer, correct? Make sure to look at the Windows 7 instructions for removal.

Restarting your computer after removing the drivers, makes sure the drivers are gone.

32-bit or 64-bit operating system? Use the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. Start, control panel, system, it should be listed there.

You downloaded the Vista drivers from the first thread and then tried installing the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode, correct?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2009 17:00

Steve,

You said that this happens when copying and scanning, correct?

If you cannot copy a document when you put it under the glass, then it;s a problem with the printer or ink cartridge.

Are you usng Dell Series 5 ink cartridges?

Can you copy the document as an image to the computer?

No, you're not hijacking this thread. It's meant to be here so others can solve their problems if needed.

Rick

2 Posts

December 12th, 2009 17:00

Hi!

your trick doesn't work for me. I had always a windows error installing printer driver. Even with a clean windows 7 installation without any trace of printer driver.

I'm going to explain you how I have installed the printer:

I've followed your trick, but I only was able to scan, I wasn't able to print. After a couple of installations without success I decided to connect to internet and install windows update drivers over the dell installation. And "voilà", dell 922 printer is now printing and scanning, but with windows update drivers.

So, maybe people who doesn't work your trick could try both tricks.

Hope my trick will help you.

Sorry for my bad English.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 20th, 2013 21:00

Prateek,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

You did all the work, I just gave a little guidence.

Take care,

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 13:00

Unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the powerbrick for 60 seconds. This will reset any error message the printer is getting. Plug everything back in and power the printer on.

Open the printer with the power on and remove the Dell Series 5 black ink cartridge and make sure the tape is off the cartridge, then reseat the cartridge back in. Now do the same for the Dell Series 5 color cartridge. Now when you close the printer, it should print an alignment page. Any error messages?

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them and cannot be refilled. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges

They can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's website.

Black cartridge = black side(left side)               Color cartridge = color side(right side)

Photo cartridge = black side(left side)              Color cartridge = color side(right side)

It is also possible to get a new ink cartridge with a bad sensor. Please take it to the place of purchase for a replacement one.

Rick

2 Posts

November 30th, 2009 21:00

thankyou so much for your help... seems i was downloading the wrong drivers... i was downloading 32bit instead of 64 bit  so yes.. it now works.. thankyou... i feel silly when i couldve just tried that myself!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 1st, 2009 02:00

nazs_kiss,

I know some of the drivers on the Drivers & Downloads pages for printers do NOT have the Vista 64-bit drivers listed. I had some help locating them, so members can install their printer on their 64-bit systems.

Take care,

Rick

5 Posts

December 1st, 2009 10:00

Hey Rick,

I'm using an Inspiron 1525 and I recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate and i'm trying to install an AIO 922 printer.  I tried your tutorial to install it using Vista compatiblity but its not working.  I did not have this printer installed before I upgraded to Windows 7 so would that be why its not working? I used this tutorial to install my old Dell 720 printer that I had installed before the upgrade and it worked just fine but it seems that installing the new 922 doesn't work because I didn't have it installed prior to my upgrade? Do you have any ideas I have tried almost everything!!

Thanks jmlorey

5 Posts

December 1st, 2009 12:00

Rick,

I have a 32-Bit operating system and i'm pretty sure I had Vista SP2 before I made the upgrade to 7.  I did everything you said exactly to detail, I used the Vista 32-Bit drivers and tried all the different Vista types under compatibility making sure to run the patch and restart my computer everytime before I tried a new version.  Like I said I got my Dell 720 to print using your help, but that had been installed and in use before I upgraded to 7.  For some reason it just doesn't want to work with the new 922, every time I get through the setup it still says "unable to communicate with printer" when I try to print the allignment page or any other page for that matter.  Do you have to have the printer installed on your computer before upgrading to Windows 7 for it to work like this?  I can't see why that would be true, but let me know what you think!

Thanks, Jmlorey

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 1st, 2009 13:00

jmlorey,

It should have mattered if it was connected or not. I have had other members install this printer. Did you try running the patch, which is really a cleanup utility for this printer. After it's run, you should get prompted to restart your computer. To make sure the patch works, and sometimes it runs for a while, I suggested the manual printer removal just to make sure..

You could try this before installing the printer...

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

Then try installing the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode.

You could try connecting the printer early and then use Windows Updates in Windows 7 to locate the printer drivers for you. If it installs, I was told that the Dell Al=In-One Center was also there. Can't remember if it was for this printer or a different model.

Rick

5 Posts

Rick,

Sorry i've got one more quick question. I am supposed to un-install everyting in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section and leave nothing behind? This won't damage anything?

Thanks, Jmlorey

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

jmlorey,

When I did my printer, I changed the compatibility before I unzipped it. I also changed the compatibility on the setup.exe file before I installed the printer. I tried using Vista SP2 as I knew it worked with Vista SP2 before.

Rick

5 Posts

Rick,

I'm not sure which version of Vista I had prior to upgrading, so should I just use Vista or Vista SP2 for compatibility? Also do I need to change the compatibility of the R151371 file to Vista before I unpack it too, or just the Setup.exe file itself after it has been unpacked?

Thanks, Jmlorey

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

jmlorey,

You have a laptop. If you uninstall everything, when you restart your computer. Windows will find everything again. If you're worried about trying this, then make a system restore point first, that way you can go back to what you have right now.

How to Create a System Restore Point in Windows 7

I figured you might ask this question next.

Rick

5 Posts

December 1st, 2009 14:00

Rick,

Thanks for the help but its still not working! I guess i'll just install the 720 again and buy some new ink! It just makes no sense that I can reinstall the 720 using your suggestions, but when I try the 922 it always says "cannot communicate with the printer". I tried uninstalling the USB components and all that but no luck.

Thanks again, Jmlorey

No Events found!