Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2011 16:00

Dell 926 All in One communication lost

Hi-

My dell 926 printer used to work perfectly fine.  Then it wouldn't print.  I could restart and it would printer.  Now it just says "Communication lost".  I have tried to remove the printer with the patch you suggested- got an updated Java- then reinstalled the Vista 926 drivers.  While it is downloading it says it has a problem installing the drivers- it continues even though it says pending.  It gets me to the test page, but it won't print- "Communication lost".  The printer copies fine, but won't interface with the computer anymore.  I did buy a new printer, but I'm afraid to hook it up fearing it won't work either.  Any other suggestions.  I have tried to reinstall a few times, but it just won't work.

Thanks- Corinne

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2011 20:00

Corrine,

Any recent changes, like virus program updates, Windows updates, etc...?

Try running Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.Make sure the printer is remmoved. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the proper drivers. Install the drivers. You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Rick

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2011 10:00

Hi-  thanks for your help.  I tried everything you suggested.  When I go to reinstall the printer part way through a "Microsoft Windows dialogue box" opens up and says "Printer Communication system stopped working and was closed- a problem caused application to stop working correctly.  Windows will notify you if a solution is available".-  then Dell 926 continues to install- then another box comes up saying Printer Status Window Interface has stopped working and asks you to close program.

I haven't rally had any recent changes- just regular virus checks, windows updates.  Like I said the problem was managable  a few months ago- if you restarted for some reason then printer would work.  I checked USB cords- tried 3 different ones- different ports, etc.  Computer works fine accept this problem.  I did buy a new printer- but haven't tried it for fear it is something with the computer and printer communication.  I just have gone a long time without printing at home- but would like to have a working printer.  Printer works because it copies- scanner won't interface obviously.  Just bothers me that I can't figure this out since computer (knock on wood) really works without problems except for this.

Thanks again-

Corinne

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2011 11:00

Corrine,

Make and model of your computer and operating nsystem is helpful. 32-bit or 64-bit?

Also please tell me which virus program and firewall you're using.

Do you have the Abbyy Fine Reader installed? Start, all programs, Abbyy Fine Reader. Click on it to open and do the agreement. If it's not installed, let me know.

Rick

Rick

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2011 14:00

Make and model of your computer and operating nsystem is helpful. 32-bit or 64-bit? Dell Inspiron 530  32 bit

Also please tell me which virus program and firewall you're using.   Mc Afree Security Center- Windows Firewall ( yes it does say the printer is allowed through it)

Do you have the Abbyy Fine Reader installed? Start, all programs, Abbyy Fine Reader. Click on it to open and do the agreement. If it's not installed, let me know.

I have Abbyy Fine Reader- I did the agreement/ registration and then the Windows box said the program had stopped working.

Thanks for your help!

Corinne

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2011 15:00

Corrine,

Try reading THIS THREAD. I suspect this is a USB Port issue.

Rick

4 Posts

February 1st, 2011 13:00

Hi-

I read the thread and it doesn't seem to be a USB port issue because I have plugged other devices into the port and they work.  I have tried other ports, cords, etc.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Corinne

2 Posts

April 1st, 2011 08:00

I have the exact same problem.  If I restart the computer (shut down completely and restart) frequently the connection is back and I can print for a couple of items.  But then the connection is lost again.  Extremely frustrating.  Please advise!

2 Posts

April 1st, 2011 09:00

thank you for the quick response.  Unfortunately none of the USB Root Hub had that box checked.  Any other suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 1st, 2011 09:00

Kate1517,

Try this tweak...

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

Rick

No Events found!