Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 11th, 2011 20:00

Dell 926 Printer Problems - need help

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me - I've been trying to get this solved, but I can't figure it out.

We've had this desktop and printer for a while - it runs on Windows XP Professional.  My problems started last week with these two messages:

1.  need to install printer driver

2.  print spooler service

If I go to Printers and Faxes, nothing shows.

I tried to fix the print spooler by going into the Control Panel, under the administrative tool, opened services, found print spooler and double clicked it, selected automatic, clicked on start, clicked apply, then OK.

I have tried to install the printer driver by:  uninstalling the current printer, then reinstalling it (have tried using a downloaded driver, and have tried using the disk that came with it).  It gets to the end, and then when I try to click on the box to try a test sheet, nothing happens.

I've unplugged the printer, waited 60 seconds, plugged it back in, and still nothing.

After all of the above, it still says that I need to install the print driver.

Please let me know your advice.  Thanks!

scctiger

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 12th, 2011 02:00

scctiger,

Make and model of your computer and operating system is helpful. 32-bit or 64-bit?

You can run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Insert the printer disk or download and install the XP drivers. You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 926 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 12th, 2011 16:00

scctiger,

Virus program and firewall can be blocking. Please tell me what you're using.

Also look in the control panel, add/remove programs ans see if you have AMD USB Audio Driver Filter. If you have this uninstall it, then restart your computer and try the procedure, again.

Rick

8 Posts

I'm going to work through your recommendations - thanks for your help.  I'll let you know what happens.  

Regarding make and model of my computer - according to My Computer, Properties:

System:

Microsoft Windows XP

Media Center Edition

Version 2002   Service Pack  3

Powered by:

Dell Dimension DIMC521

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+

I was wondering about whether there was a problem with a firewall or a virus program.  What would i need to do to see if that's the problem?

8 Posts

So far, I've done the patch, and I've restarted the computer.  I'm getting ready to insert the printer disk.

My firewall is the WIndows Firewall.

My virus protection is Trend Micro Titanmium Maximum Security.

I checked to see if I had the AMD UBS Audio Driver Filter - but I don't see it.

Should I keep going with inserting the print disk?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 12th, 2011 17:00

scctiger,

Not sure if THIS ARTICLE will help or not. The Windows Firewall is not a problem.

Rick

8 Posts

July 12th, 2011 18:00

I ran the patch, then inserted the "Drivers and Utilities Dell Photo All in One Printer 926" disk, then connected the printer when instructed.  I realized after it was through that the printer was not powered on.  So, I started over with the patch, and this time connected and powered on the printer.  Still no luck.  It keeps telling me that I need to reinstall the printer driver.  When I go to Printers and Faxes in the Control Panel, nothing shows.  What should I do now?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 12th, 2011 18:00

scctiger,

Run Delete Print Jobs

Disconnect the printer

Run the patch

Restart

Insert disk and install drivers first. Connect printer when prompted.

Rick

8 Posts

July 12th, 2011 19:00

I don't understand the Delete Print Jobs instructions.  I saved the words (between the lines) into Notepad.  If I open up the file, then right click on it, I don't see where I can choose Run as Administrator.  Please clear this up for me.

I called Trend Micro - they suggested to temporarily disable the anti-virus, install the printer driver, then restart the computer.  I diabled it, inserted the disk and loaded the drivers, but still no luck.  However, when I restarted it, it said that it Found New Hardware.  Then the New Hardware Wizard came up and said:

There was a problem installing this hardware:  Dell Photo AIO Printer 926.  An Error occurred during the installation of the device.  The RPC Server is unavailable.

Thanks for your help.  I'm frustrated, but determined.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 12th, 2011 19:00

scctiger,

If you have XP, then just double click on it. This removes any stuck print jobs in the queue, so you can remove the printer. If a print job is stuck, the printer will not uninstall.

Rick

8 Posts

July 12th, 2011 20:00

Ran the Delete Print Jobs, then reinstalled the printer.  Like the other times, it says installation is complete, but it won't let me click on the Test box to print a test paper.  Like the other times, I close out that window, and a window pops up and says it's preparing the All In One Printer to run for the first time.  I open Word and try to print something.  Still no luck.  Any other suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 12th, 2011 20:00

scctiger,

Run Delete print jobs, then restart your computer.

Open the Word document. Click on file, print and make sure the proper printer is selected. When the printer is removed, Microsoft Word defaults to a different printer, like Microosoft XPS Document Printer or something like that.

Rick

8 Posts

July 12th, 2011 21:00

I ran Delete Print Jobs again, and restarted.  When I did, the Found New Hardware Wizard came up and said "Cannot install this hardware ... The remote procedure call failed."  As far as I can remember, this is a new error message.

I opened Word, typed something, then clicked on File, Print - but nothing happened after that.

What's next?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 13th, 2011 02:00

scctiger,

Sorry I reread the first few posts and realize you have XP 64-bit.

Run delete print jobs

restart

run the patch

restart

download the 64-bit drivers. Install the 64-bit drivers. You should then get the message the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Rick

8 Posts

July 13th, 2011 20:00

I followed your steps above, but still got the same result.  Am I doing something wrong?  After I download it, I click on Setup Launcher  and follow the steps from there.  I keep getting the message that I need to install the printer driver.  Am I skipping something?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 13th, 2011 21:00

scctiger,

Try reading...

How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager

Rick

No Events found!