Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

December 6th, 2010 09:00

Dell 942 All-In-One Printer--Fatal Error 787

Hi, I am getting a Fatal Error 787 every time I try to print, copy, or scan anything.  Is there a fix for this or am I going to have to replace my printer?  I haven't used the printer a lot, but never had any issues before.

Thanks,

hjhhjh73

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 7th, 2010 10:00

hjhhjh73,

Are you using Dell Series 5 ink cartridges?

Try Cleaning Dell ink cartridges and see if that works. If you hear a loud bang, then try...

Cleaning the encoder strip (Loud bang from printer carriage)

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 7th, 2010 11:00

hjhhjh73,

Just thinking, after I hit the post button. Can you copy a document under the glass? B&W and color?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

hjhhjh73,

Make and model of your computer and operating system, please. 32-bit or 64-bit? Is English the language of the operating system installed?

Not may hits for your error message.

Rick

3 Posts

Thanks for posting to my question. 

I bought new series 5 cartridges thinking that this was the issue as I was having the error with the old cartridges.  So, I put the new ones in and even uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software hoping this would get rid of the error--no such luck.  I tried scanning a document and I got the same "Fatal at line 787" error with a ton of other writing after it.   

Any other suggestions? 

3 Posts

December 7th, 2010 12:00

I have tried copying and the printer puts up the same error for everything on the lcd screen. 

My computer is from 2006.  It is one of the XPS ones that I had gotten to do gaming on and English is the operating language and always has been.  I haven't changed anything on my computer except doing the required updates.  I am not sure if it is 32 or 64 bit--I will have to check out my paperwork at home.

What other information could help that I need to retrieve?

Thanks so much for trying to help me with this.

hjhhjh73

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 7th, 2010 12:00

hjhhjh73,

I'm trying to see if anyone I know heard about this error message. It sounds like it's coming from  the printer. Wondering if a bad Dell Series ink cartridge or the encoder strip came off. Will see if anyone heard of this error.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 17th, 2010 10:00

hjhhjh73,

Sorry for the delay. Something to try.

Unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. This should reset any error messages the printer is getting. While everything is unplugged, press and hold the power button down for 30 seconds to dischange any electric stored in the printer.

Connect everything and power on the printer.

Any error messages?

Rick

No Events found!