Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

December 5th, 2006 19:00

Dell 946 AIO printer fax problems

Dear DELL 946 users!

I have new Dell XP desktop and Dell 946 printer.  I have some problems using the printer as a stand alone fax machine.  The printer sometimes does NOT send a paper fax from the first attempt. It scans and then keeps dialing and then just stops.  When I try faxing for the second time it works.

Next problem is receiving faxes.  I have someone sending me a fax.  I see on the printer LED "receiving fax.." message.  And then nothing happens. It does not print the fax.

NOTE. Print function works just fine. Copy function has no problem.

Should I keep  the printer in the "fax" mode all the time?

Please advice.

Alex

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 5th, 2006 20:00

Sounds like you may have a telephone line problem.  Check the telephone line, at the wall jack you are using.  make sure it's OK, that there's no noise or crosstalk on the phone line. 

December 6th, 2006 01:00

Thank you! It can not be a line problem.  My telephone is connected to the "phone" jack of the printer and the phone works just fine.
Alex

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 6th, 2006 08:00

The phone works, but is there any noise, low voice levels, etc?  I've seen many voice telephones that work but data will not work on the exact same line.  It's not "cut and dried" because the voice telephone works.  I've worked with telephone and data networking for many years and have seen data problems (and a fax transmission is considered data) where a voice transmission will work.

Try the fax machine in a different telco jack in the residence and see if it makes a difference.  You have to help yourself to try and isolate, for sure, what the problem is. 

It's not to say there isn't something wrong with the machine, just you have to eliminate everything else first. 

December 6th, 2006 10:00

Thank you, Diamond!
I have a radio phone in my house.  Just one base is trasmitting signal to 4 handsets.  The base phone station is connected to the "PHONE" output of the printer.  All phones and the base work absoluttely fine - no noise, no low volume, just perfect. 
More info:
1) I am using CableVision VOIP service.  My phone line is connected into the Cable Modem "PHONE" output..
2) My previous AIO printer (old all-in-one from HP) worked with no problem in this setup.

Thank you all for your help.
Alex

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 6th, 2006 17:00

With VOIP all bets are off.  I have two customers with Brighthouse (cable) telephone service and both have various problems and ready to dump it and go back the regular telephone company.

1 Message

February 22nd, 2007 19:00

Alex's problem does not seem to be isolated...  I tried using the 946 AIO printer as a fax machine, connected to a dedicated fax line with no other phones attached.  I experienced the same symptoms identified by Alex, unsuccessful fax attempts and faxes lost.  I had to revert back to my original fax machine.

February 22nd, 2007 22:00

Thank you Jim!

My DELL 946 now works OK, not fine, just OK.  Printer is fine, copier is fine.  Sometimes I do have problems with faxes.  The only way to recover from a fax problem is to do the following:
1) unplug the printer.  I mean unplug, not just hit the Power button.  Plug the printer.
2) Restart the computer.

Also I configured the fax feature to print a report every time (for OK and failure).

This "work around" is not very convenient, but that is the only way I found.  I keep my 946 so far, because I do not use it heavily as a fax machine - just a few faxes per month.

I would NOT recommend this machine for real business fax needs.

Alex

No Events found!