Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

X

May 11th, 2009 21:00

Dell 946 All-In-One

New XPS 435T, 2 Year old Dell 946 All-In-One Printer.  I cannot use the All-In-One user interface.  I can print from my computer onto this printer but cannot get scan to work.  I have downloaded all the drivers, patches, and run through all of the troubleshooting steps.  I get a dialog box from All-in-One that says my scan was not successful.  It says try these solutions:

Make sure All-In-One is on

Disconnect and reconnect the USB

Disconnect and reconnect the All-In-Ones power cable

Restart the computer.

I have done and redone this many times.  I can connect to my daughters dell laptop running Windows Vista 32 and have no problem using the same USB connections.  Help!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 11th, 2009 21:00

xpsed946,

Follow these instructions below and then tell me what happens.

Make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista computers) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

XP & Vista 64-bit Drivers.

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on).

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Also try reading...

Update list of applications to send scans to

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

May 12th, 2009 22:00

HI Rick

I just got a new HP computer with a vista home os 64-bit.  When I try to install the my 964 printer it says that there is a communication error and when I attach the usb it says the device has malfunctioned.  I have downloaded the correct driver that you supplied in a previous post.  Any suggestions.

Thanks Gloria

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Ed,

Let's try this one more time. I'm thinking the patch might not have removed everything if not run as administrator.

Right click on the patch, left click run as administrator. Let it run until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Install the proper drivers.

If it doesn't work, then the exact error message will be helpful.

Sharing a printer through a wireless network

Rick

8 Posts

I followed all instructions but got a message that Windows encountered a problem installing the driver for my device.   It also stated that the required line was not found in the INF.  Now what? 

Thanks,

Ed

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 12th, 2009 23:00

Gloria,

Printer, patches, drivers, firmware are all different for each printer. Please make a new thread in the Dell Printers Forum and I'll be glad to help you. I refuse to mix printer in a post as it can cause the printer to become a hugh paperweight if the wrong firmware is installed.

Thanks,

Rick

8 Posts

May 14th, 2009 21:00

Rick,

I ran the patch as an administrator and followed the driver update instructions.  I did not get any error codes.  When I go to All-In-One and attempt to scan, I am told to disconnect and reconnect the power cord, disconnect or reconnect the USB cable, or restart the computer.   This is where I was at before I started posting here.  I have followed all the trouble shooting options recommended within All in One including unplugging and replugging power and USB.  I have changed power sources from a strip to a wall outlet.  I have changed USB cables.  I plug in my daughter's two year old Dell laptop with Vista 32 bit and the entire printer and scanner works great.  No problem.  In fact, the printer scans with my 7 year old Dell desktop which runs Windows XP. 

Any further ideas?

Thanks,
Ed

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 14th, 2009 22:00

Ed,

This might be the culprit. Make sure to download the LLTD Responder and install it on the problem computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=922120

Try this tweak and then tell me what happens.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 14th, 2009 22:00

Ed,

The more I think about this, I feel you have a problem with your USB Port(s). Did you try a different port?

Try re-installing the Chipset Drivers. Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number(DO NOT POST your service tag number here or your post will get deleted) and download the Chipset Drivers and re-install them.

I have a cure to fix the USB Ports for Laptops but NOT for Desktops. Still waiting for someone to tell me how. I have gone to all laptops, hate all those wires.

Rick

8 Posts

May 23rd, 2009 13:00

Rick,

I downloaded the LLTD responder but got an error message when I tried to install.  The error "not enough storage is available to process this command".  I also checked all the USB Root Hubs and none of the boxes were checked to save power.  One other important piece of information.  I have automatic updates turned on for Windows.  It identifies an update for my Dell 946 printer but I get the following error code when I try to install the update "800F0102".

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2009 14:00

Ed,

Disconnect all usb devices attached to your computer. (Except the mouse and keyboard)

Shut down the computer.

Unplug the computer from the wall. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Leave the computer turned off for about 5 minutes.

Plug the power cord back in the wall.

Power the computer on and log in on an unrestricted account.

Try right clicking on the patch, left click run as administrator. Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Now before we install the drivers, click start, control panel, system and make sure what version of Windows ou have 32-bit or 64-bit.

Install the proper drivers. I would refrain from letting Windows update your drivers as they can be the wrong drivers and/or get installed incorrectly, causing many devices to fail.

Connect the printer when prompted.

Rick

8 Posts

May 23rd, 2009 14:00

Rick,

I re-installed the Chipset Drivers.  I also tried all of my USB ports.  No luck yet.  I am curious about the fact that per my previous post, I am not able to install the updates for the 946.

Thanks,
Ed

8 Posts

June 15th, 2009 20:00

Rick,

I did everything you recommended in exactly the same sequence as you described.  I still have no scanning capability.  The printer works great but I get the following message when I try to scan from All-In-One:

Make sure All-In-One is powered on.

Disconnect and reconnect the USB cable

Disconnect and reconnect the power cable

Restart your computer

I did all these things too and no luck.  I've confirmed that I have a 64-bit operating system.  Do you have any additional suggestions?

Your old friend Ed.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 15th, 2009 21:00

Ed,

I cannot promise anything but this may be your lucky day. I just read a thread by Jesse and you may want to try his instructions.

Rick

I thought you were trying to share this printer over a network.

1 Message

June 19th, 2009 22:00

Hi I kind of have the same problem, when I go to "scan to" it shows a message "downloading applic. list" but after a few secunds  it shows "cannot retrieve application list" what should I do?

2 Posts

January 16th, 2010 08:00

Rick-

I would love some assistance as well! I have been using my AIO 946 with my dell desktop for a couple of years. I gave that computer to my parents and now would like to use the AIO 946 on my HP laptop I bought last year. It has Vista.

I download the software from the disk provided. I can print and all the software is downloaded, however the all in one center program does not download, so I cannot scan. I've followed the threads for a bit  now, but don't know where to start.  The scanning is the main reason I use this AIO 946 since I have another printer

Can you please help!

No Events found!