Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2009 16:00

Dell 946 - won't print black

Hello Community. I was going through the entries for printer problems and came across a very good detailed explanation for removing the print program and re-installing it. Followed it, everything went smooth (great instructions from PudgyOne, my thanks).

The original reason for my search was that the black ink wasn't working. The Dell application told me I had ink left, but no black was printing. So, I installed a brand new cartridge I had for a backup, same problem, thought it might have dried out or something. So I ordered brand new cartridge, and put it in same day i received it. Same problem - my 'printing' in black is either gray, or spotty/not complete or non-existent. (I have resorted to printing all my documents in dark blue)

I have a Dell 946, about 2 years old. The color cartridges work fine, it's just the black.And it is 3 different cartridges that all gave me the same result.

I have cleaned the cartridges (over and over) printed test pages and alignment pages, etc.

That is when I resorted to reinstalling the app. Maybe the instructions for using black ink got corrupted. Same results.

Any ideas? Anybody else see this?Thanx for any help or ideas. John

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 16th, 2009 17:00

John,

Looks like you've been doing some homework! :emotion-21:

Is the cartridge a Dell Series 5 cartridge? or a generic brand?

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer. 

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 5 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 5 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges .

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 5 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

2 Posts

November 21st, 2009 16:00

Hi Rick. It's a Dell cartridge. Removed plug for a few minutes.

Still no black.

I ran the Align Print Cartridge command in the Dell-All-In-One Center. After the page, I get "Automatic Alignment Problem" - the printer could not be automatically aligned. it mentions removing the protective tape. It's off always has been. So the program knows something isn't right, but it just keeps saying take the tape off.

The align page gives me a dark gray band across the top, then no black color on the rest of the document. These are Dell cartridges, the 3rd one from their online site. The printer says there is ink, and I have not used it enough to have run out of black ink.

John

November 22nd, 2009 00:00

John,

I can't figure out why it givs a black band and then nothing. My best guess is that the black cartridge is defective. Call the number on the shipping slip and tell Dell the cartridge is defective and they will replace it for you.

Rick

February 12th, 2011 20:00

I'm having the exact same issue with my 946.  Was there ever a solution to this problem?

September 5th, 2013 21:00

Seriously, Dell, <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per terms of use> I, too, am having this exact same problem and I've been uninstalling and installing the software with zero results. I can't print black. If I have a black font I have to change it to blue to print it. When I try to align the cartridges I get a message saying to remove the tape. I removed the tape when I installed the cartridges. I've thrown away perfectly good (and way too expensive) cartridges because I assumed they had dried out. Obviously I am not the only person who has encountered this problem so please find a way to fix it! Otherwise the computer I buy to replace my current one will not be a Dell!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

tbahuntington,

Printer was made for Dell by Lexmark.

If the cartridge is new and you purchased the Dell Series 5 cartridge from Dell's website, contact them and they'll send a replacement. If purchased at a store, take it to the store for a replacement.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

tbahuntington,

Can you copy a document under the glass? Black and white and color?

I have seen a new Dell Series 5 cartridge with problems. Take it to the place of purchase for a replacement.

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer. 

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 5 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 5 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges .

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 5 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

Copying a document from the scanner--very faint when done in color; blank when done in black and white. I've tried all that other stuff. It doesn't work. I doubt it's the cartridge, unless Dell puts out a great many defective cartridges. I've brought one back and threw one away even though it still had most of its ink. And those cartridges ain't cheap. Perhaps someone at Dell should look into this problem and find a fix. The printer isn't that old.

No Events found!