Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2010 02:00

Dell 948 AIO Scanning problems

Hello,

Recently i was asked to install a second wireless Dell 948 AIO for a client so if one printer failed he had a backup.

It worked for a short while but then when you went to either printer and selected scan to pc rather than show a list of computers it showed "D" on one and "L" on the other.

The only way to get this to work was to turn on a specific pc and it all came back to life. What i though strange was the computer that has to be turned on for the scanner to work was a computer which had the printers installed after the wireless had been configured so a USB cable had been no where near the computer.

Later on the printers became slow. So i took the following action which has fixed all issues but i still have the problem of having to have a specific pc turned on so all the others can scan.

1) Upgraded both dell 948 AIO's firmware to latest

2) Removed and reinstalled Drivers using latest versions

Operating systems are, 2x Windows 7 Pro, 2x Windows 7 Home prem and 1x XP pro

I would like to add that printing is working fine.

Thanks for your time and help

Christopher

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 20th, 2010 06:00

cking2k3,

First, I recommend using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in the wireless router, I use channel 11.

Se the first printer up using the instructions located at...

948 All-In-One (PRODUCT) RED™ Printer owners thread (W7) (follow the wireless instructions at the bottom) If the person has a desktop computer connected to the wireles router, when installing the printer, choose network and follow the instructions. The printer will communicate through the wireless router, so the desktop can print with no problems.

After the first printer is installed, then depending on what program Dell has working with it, if you know the ip address for the printer, type that in the addresss bar or Internet Explorer. Look for a settings page and change the ip address to the high end of the ip range.

Do the same for the second printer. Make sure not to assign the same ip address.

On each computer, go to...

start, control panel, system. Change the name of the computer to the name you want it for scanning.

Install the printer on each computer. Change the name of the first printer to a name or put the ip addresss behind the printer, so you know which one it is. Do the same for the second printer.

For scanning wirelessly, go to the printer and click scan. It should first bring up a list of computers. Then after you select the computer, it should bring up a list to of applications to send scans to. If the program is not on the list, then...

Update list of applications to send scans to

Also try this tweak to keep the wireless card online.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Any questions, feel free to ask. Please let me know if the Dell 948 has the Dell All-In-One Center of Dell Toolbox,

Rick

4 Posts

April 20th, 2010 09:00

Thanks Rick,

I have other work i need to compete for this company first but as soon as i have tried this i will let you know.

Thanks again for your help,

Christopher

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 20th, 2010 11:00

Christopher,

I do check back daily and often. I work afternoons on Thursday and Fridays and the last Monday of the month I have a job that tires me out, so don't expect a reply until Tuesday.

I have a Dell V715w Wireless printer and used to have a Dell 964 printer attached to a Dell 3300 wireless Print Adapter.

Rick

4 Posts

May 31st, 2010 06:00

Thanks for all your help Rick,

Unfortunalty the company where this is an issue wont let me make system changes in order to possibly fix the problems(as per your recommended settings). It is still the case that one of the desktop computers must remain turned on to scan (not any desktop tho a spesific one).

When trying to scan now sometimes it works and other times it sticks on "Downloading Application List" and then reports it can not retrieve it. This is intermittant.

Are there spesific files i have to allow through the firewall?

Since your last message i downloaded the latest printer firmware and put it on both printers and also the latest printer drivers which i believe are for Windows Vista but will work with Windows 7, could this be a possible issue?

Thanks Again.

Christopher 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 31st, 2010 08:00

4 Posts

May 31st, 2010 16:00

they scan to each pc in the office so having it central is not really an option they are happy about. The Director should just let me do what is needed (set your recommended settings and take it from there.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 31st, 2010 19:00

cking2k3,

I had a Dell 964 connected to a Dell 3300 wireless Printer Adapter and I now have a Dell V715w Wireless Printer. On the 964 printer, I had to go to the printer and select scan, select the computer, then it download the list of applications to send scans to

Update list of applications to send scans to

These tweaks may help. Reguardless of the message about being the administrator, I think you can still get to these settings and try them. I could on the company computer at my work and I'm a restricted user there.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

No Events found!