Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2011 17:00

Dell 964 All-in-One Printer won't print in black!

Just wondering if anyone out there has help...

Last week when I went to print something, it sounded like it was printing...but the page was blank!  The ink levels on both the color and black did not even show low levels.  I tried running a test page and it too came out blank.

So I ordered new black/color ink to see if the ink level monitor was malfuntioning.  Now my printer will print only in color, no black.  I ran a few cleaning cycles and alignment cycles...but it did no good, still no black.

Any help out there?? 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 15th, 2011 19:00

kbaillie07,

Can you copy a document under the glass? B&W and color?

If yes, the start, control panel, printers, your printer, printer preferences, advanced, nore options.

Make sure to uncheck the complete-a-print boxes.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

kbaillie07,

Try to copy a document in black & white. If it doesn't copy, then I would suspect a bad Dell Series 5 ink cartridge. The procedure to check would be...

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer.

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 5 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 5 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side) color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side) color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 5 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

3 Posts

I did not try to scan/print...but those boxes are not currently selected.

3 Posts

August 15th, 2011 20:00

I unplugged it, turned power on, took out and put back both black/color ink cartridges and after the alignment print, it said there was an error message "alignment problem."  And only a small faded strip of aqua blue is on the alignment page.  

I still tried to copy and print a B&W page and again...it "sounded" like it was printing, but the page was blank.  I tried this with both the old and new cartridges and neither work(the old cartridges say there is just under 50% left in them).

So frustrating!  I've had the printer for a few years, but haven't even used it that much!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 16th, 2011 03:00

kbaillie07,

Simple model. The Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have the printheads on them. If it doesn't print, you can try Cleaning Dell ink cartridges but if they're new, then you'll need to take to the place of purchase for a replacement.

I try to keep my printer covered 24/7 and away from drafty areas, so the ink cartridges don't get dried out.

Rick

No Events found!