Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2013 15:00

Dell 966 AIO, Windows 7

I decided to move my 966 to my wife's machine.  It ran fine on my machine, running Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit.  When I plugged it in to her machine, also running Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit, I immediately get a "USB Device Not Recognized Error."  If I run the printer driver setup, it stops at the point where I'm to plug in the USB cable of the 966.  When I do, I still get the "USB Device Not Recognized" error, but setup never sees the connection with the printer, and will not install.

How do I get my wife's computer to recognize the 966?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2013 18:00

Erie910,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on).

Links to the patch/drivers can be found at...

Dell 966 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

38 Posts

November 29th, 2013 07:00

Rick,

I solved the problem by plugging the printer into a front USB port, and all installed as advertised.  Two days later, I plugged the cable into a rear USB port, and the installation is working.

Windows 7 finds printer drivers through Windows Update, but not the A-I-O software.  That has to be installed from CD or downloaded file.

Ken B.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 29th, 2013 08:00

Ken,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

The Dell All-In-One Center is usually in the drivers package. The OCR Program is on the printers disk and needs installed to be able to scan.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!