Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2015 18:00

Dell 966 All In One Photo Printer compatibility problem with Windows 10

My Dell 966 All In One Photo Printer driver is not supported by Windows 10. I understand that Dell is working to create updated printer drivers for some of its printers. I would like to know if Dell has a notification system set up that could message me as soon as an updated driver for the Dell 966 All In One Photo Printer becomes available. If anyone has any solid information about this I would appreciate it if you could provide me with it.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 8th, 2015 04:00

Delldiscouragement,

If the printer was installed on your system when yo upgraded, the printer should work without any issues.

From reading Windows 10 Compatibility with Dell Printers I do not see Dell updating printer drivers for the older model printers.

You can try reading Installing Older Windows Printer Drivers in Windows 10

I have suggested in the past using the Vista drivers for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. This should also work for Windows 10. Try the instructions below and see if it works.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features, your printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time (powered on).

Links to the drivers can be found at…

Dell 966 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

February 16th, 2016 20:00

Well, I was able to successfully install the Vista 64-bit driver in Vista compatibility mode on my Dell XPS laptop (running Windows 10) for my Dell Photo 966 printer and I even got it connected to my house Wi-Fi network. The printer successfully printed the test page wirelessly, but refuses to print anything else. All print jobs just sit idly in queue forever after being sent to the printer. I tend to look on the bright side, however, since I can print out as many test pages I desire. I would be most grateful for any suggestions on achieving full printer functionality. It may be due to my McAfee antivirus or Malwarebytes programs but I disabled them both before installation and testing, so I don't think that was the problem.  

February 16th, 2016 21:00

Quick update: I was able to print a picture (.jpg file) wirelessly on my Dell Photo 966 printer with my antivirus, antimalware and firewall enabled, but I still can't print any Word or .pdf files which still sit idly in the queue after being sent to the printer. I call this an improvement but still need help obtaining full functionality. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 17th, 2016 00:00

Delldiscouragement,

Open the Word document. Click on file, print and make sure the proper printer is selected. Do the same for the PDF file.

Rick

February 17th, 2016 21:00

Tried that. Proper printer selected. Print jobs for documents still stuck in queue.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 18th, 2016 08:00

Delldiscouragement,

If you followed the instructions in the second post, if the printer does not function correctly, then this printer has finally come to the end of it's life. This is an older Dell Printer, so you probably got your moneys worth out of it.

Rick

No Events found!