Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2009 04:00

Dell 968 AIO Printer / Networked

Hi. Recently added a network card to the office 968 printer and it worked fine on Vista and XP Pro machines. However, XP Pro machine is now refusing to print, constantly giving the Dell dialog error "Network printer is busy. Printer is currently printing another document".

I've tried reinstalling the printer from scratch / deleting and re-creating the network port and checked c:\windows\system32\spooler\printers folder to make sure the 'queue' is empty. Now started banging my head on the wall!

The Vista machine prints fine. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Message

June 8th, 2011 06:00

Hi - I don't know if you ever fixed this one, but I have just had similar problem but with Windows 7 PC's.

I tried all the usual re-installing, restore etc but no joy. In fact problem moved around the network, a PC that printed all day suddenly had same error I was troubleshooting after I had given up and set original problem PC to use USB.

Eventually stumbled over a network setting on the AIO 968 itself which Auto-detects whether or not to use Wireless or Wired network.

As my network is wired I set it to this and all works fine. simple..only took 8 hours to fix! :emotion-9:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 5th, 2009 08:00

nigelr99,

Go to control panel, printers and make sure the printer does NOt have any print jobs in the queue. The follow the instructions below using the patch and re-install the printer. I suspect that maybe the printer drivers got updated by Micrfosoft and this causes devices to malfunction.

First make sure your computer has all the Windows updates. I have the custom ones too, especially the new framework(Needed to run many applications). Also make sure to have the latest Java. Since you didn't mention how the printer's connected, here the basic instructions for this printer.

Disconnect your printer. 

Un-install your printer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers 

Vista 32-bit Drivers

64-bit Drivers 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

All other drivers

I recommend using these  Recommended Wireless Router Settings to get everything to communicate correctly. I have DHCP enabled on my wireless router. I assigned my printer an ip address at the high end of my ip address. (Example: my printer ip address is 192.168.1.149) All the other computer get assigned an ip address automatically. 

How Do I Connect a Dell™ Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

Remember to install the latest firmware for the 968 printer.

Rick

3 Posts

May 12th, 2009 10:00

Thanks PudgyOne.

I didn't get a chance to work on this again until today. I tried all (well most) of what you suggested but nothing seems to make any difference. As a temporary measure, I've had to share the printer on the Vista machine and connect the xp machine that way. Not nice but it gets the user up and running - I've wasted so much time on this it's amazing!

Nigel.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 12th, 2009 10:00

Nigel,

Vista/Xp Printer sharing can be tricky.

Sharing a printer through a wireless network

Rick

3 Posts

June 9th, 2011 01:00

Thanks - printer since replaced but I can't remember seeing that setting so it could have been as simple as that (when you know about it!). Cheers.

No Events found!