Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2011 19:00

Dell 968 Printer Cartridge Error

My Dell 968 printer was working fine and both cartridges had lots of ink left in them (it is connected to a machine running XP since it would not work on my other machine running Win7).

Today when I powered on the system I saw the message "Cartridge Error Consult User's Guide" on the printer display.

When I tried to print, the on-screen instructions were to power off, power on, remove both cartridges and re-install them -- this did not fix the problem.

In the User's Manual it says to remove the ink cartridges and unplug the printer. Then plug the printer back in and re-insert the cartridges -- this did not fix the problem.

If this does not work, the manual then recommends I check support.dell.com -- so here I am.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 15th, 2011 16:00

skoobie99,

Have seen one cartridge go bad, but trying to figure out which one. I already took out the cartridges and shook them.

If they're bad, you could take them back to the place of purchase for a replacement.

Rick

11 Posts

June 1st, 2011 18:00

Rick -- you eventually gave me the advice that worked (take the cartridges to the store for replacement), which is why I assigned the answer to your post.  

I could have done without the obvious "were they Dell cartridges and make sure you install the black cartridge in the black cartridge holder" comments however (just saying -- to keep the irritation level down to a minimum).

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 13th, 2011 22:00

skoobie99,

Printer is connected to the XP machine and you want to do printer sharing, correct?

Your Dell 968 Printer does not have the wireless adapter?

On the Windows 7 machine, run Finding System Information remove your product ID and post the rest of the information back here. Also tell me the virus protection and firewall(s) involved.

Rick

11 Posts

May 14th, 2011 09:00

No Rick -- I do not want to do printer sharing -- I just want to use the Dell 968 printer in stand-alone mode with my XP machine -- just like a regular printer.

It was working fine like this and now all of a sudden I get this "Cartridge Error".

Can't figure-out why this might have happened.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 14th, 2011 13:00

skoobie99,

Are you using Dell Series 7 ink cartridges?

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer. 

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 7 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 7 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible that you got a Dell Series 7 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. Take it back to the place of purchase for a refund or replacement.

Rick

11 Posts

May 15th, 2011 16:00

Answers to your questions below:

Are you using Dell Series 7 ink cartridges?  -- yes

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in. -- done, though I had to do some digging to dig the AC converter from the back of the printer

Power on the printer.  -- upon powering up, question marks were superimposed over both ink cartridge icons, then the same "Cartridge Error" message I previously described came on

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 7 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 7 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.  -- done, the printer display panel continues to display the "Cartridge Error" message -- no alignment page was printed

Any error messages? -- the printer display panel continues to display the "Cartridge Error" message

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)  -- yes

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.  -- I am aware of the sensor -- both cartridges were working fine since I installed them in the printer

Dell Series 7 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website. -- both ink cartridges were approximately 3/4 full last time I printed using this printer, I don't want to buy new ones, I just want to get these to work

** My take on this is that the sensors in both cartridges went bad simultaneously and the printer now doesn't recognize them.

What is irritating is that they are both barely used, so I don't feel it is right to go out and buy two new ones.

It's possible that you got a Dell Series 7 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. Take it back to the place of purchase for a refund or replacement.

1 Message

May 30th, 2011 07:00

did you ever figure out how to fix it?  I am having the same problem.

11 Posts

June 1st, 2011 17:00

It appears both cartridges were fried simultaneously Horton1790.

Assign this to the "weird" category ...

I took both cartridges back to the Staples store from where I had bought them, they exchanged them for new ones (after some explaining with the manager), I installed the cartridges and the printer works.

I was thinking my experience was the exception, however if you are having the same problem, I wonder how many other folks out there have experienced the same thing ...

Maybe someone from Dell customer service should step-in and take note/action.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 2nd, 2011 02:00

skoobie99,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. I put that comment there because people were putting the photo cartridge, or should I say they were trying to put the photo cartridge in the color side and it would not fit.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

June 12th, 2011 07:00

I'm having the same problem. I finally just had to buy another black ink cartridge because it seemed like the "connection" was lost b/t printer and cartridge. It fixed the problem, but 2 months later, it is doing the same thing!!!!  The black cartridge has got to be over half full. It is saying that there is a cartridge error, but there isn't.

1 Message

October 24th, 2011 18:00

I'm having exactly the same problem with my printer, I will try to get both cartridges replaced.  I will let you know if it works!  Thanks for your posting!

No Events found!