Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

August 22nd, 2009 07:00

Dell A940 Printer and Windows 7

Hello,

I use Windows 7 to test some applications and I found following problem.

I can't print a document. It always says: " An unknown error occured."

I can scan with it, but that's all. Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2009 09:00

BulletTime,

Make and model of your computer. 32-bit or 64-bit?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2009 10:00

BulletTime,

Do you have NVIDIA's Network Access Manager installed?

Rick

August 22nd, 2009 10:00

It is a custom build computer with following specs:

Asus Rampage II Extreme Motherbord

Intel Core i7 920

Corsair XMS3 3 x 2GB

Point of View Nvidia 295 GTX

Antec 850 Watt

2x WD Raptors 150 GB

2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB

(Both in raid 0)

And some additional stuff like dvd-rom etc.

Running Windows 7 64-bit and have a printer of Dell (A940) not working with this system.

Hope you are informed with this info :)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2009 11:00

BulletTime,

Here are the instructions I use for installing the A940 Printer. I was told the Vista Drivers are backward compatable for Windows 7. So far, I have only had a few people say they cannot get all the functions to work, but most can still print. Dell will NOT provide Windows 7 drivers until it is Offically Released. If this does not work, Dell will hopefully have the drivers in late October into November.

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Now install the proper Drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

August 22nd, 2009 11:00

No, but does dell has drivers for windows 7? Maybe that would work

August 22nd, 2009 12:00

That patch to uninstall didn't wok. I've removed everything by hand.

After installing Java by hand, windows found the drivers with auto update.

But I've installed the 64 bit driver from vista over again now and the printer works.

Thank you very much :)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2009 13:00

BulletTime,

I couldn't guarentee anything. It's kinda hit and miss until the proper drivers are available. The question about the NVIDIA's Network Access Manager was asked because I had this issue with another custom computer and uninstalling it was the solution.

We know you can print the question is can you scan? I still cannot guarentee you can scan, that's why I asked. :emotion-5:

Rick

August 22nd, 2009 13:00

Rick,

I can say happy now, I can print and I can scan, like I was used in Vista 64-bit :)

Thanks alot.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2009 14:00

BulletTime,

Thanks for sharing the information with me. :emotion-21: Since I try helping others here, I'll have to remember if they say the patch didn't work, that I have to have them manually un-install the prunbter drivers.

Could you please mark the verify answer and yes, please make your own post as it tell what you did to correct the problem. That way if someone else tries to install the same printer on Windows 7, they will see what you did to get it working.

Thanks again and take care,

Rick

August 22nd, 2009 15:00

Make a new post, or a reply? I'll make work of it tomorrow :)

August 23rd, 2009 03:00

Unfortunatly I have to report the printer fails after a couple of documents. It works well for the first document, but it doesn't know when it's finished. So it wants to start to the second, but doesn't. When you close or cancel the first document, it hangs on it. Only have this problem with printing online documents like for your bank etc.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 23rd, 2009 04:00

BulletTime,

If you can live with it like that until November, which is the most likely time Dell will offer the drivers, that's the best I can do for now.

Rick

August 23rd, 2009 05:00

I guess so :)

Thanks anyway

3 Posts

January 4th, 2010 09:00

Hi,

I have a Vista home computer which has the Dell A940 printer attached.  I also now have a Dell Windows 7 PC which I want to connect to the printer via the Vista machine.  I have used the process above to clear out all other printer drivers on the Windows 7 machine and installed the Vista 64 bit A940 drivers (connecting the A940 directly for installation purposes) but even though the Windows 7 machine can see the printer attached to the Vista one when it tries to connect it fails with a message 0x00000000d.

Any clues why this is? I have checked all the sharing options.

Regards,  Justin..

1 Message

January 12th, 2010 16:00

im having the same problem. i have the a940 printer hooked up to a dell xp pc. im trying to connect the printer wirelessly to a windows 7 laptop. it shows up that the printer is attached, but has the same error when i try and use it or connect it. if you have found out how to fix it, let me know please

No Events found!