Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2009 09:00

Dell AIO 920 won't copy or scan

I've successfully installed the recommended drivers for my AIO 920 and the printing works fine, but I can't get it to copy or scan.   I'm using a Compaq laptop with Windows XP ... printer connected to USB port.  I've tried all the "fixes" I could find on the Dell site.    Can you help?   Ginny

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 21st, 2009 19:00

ginnymusic,

Have you tried re-installing your printer as suggested below?

Go to Windows Updates and get all the latest Updates, especially net framework(custom update). Net framework is needed for most applications to run. Also make sure to have the latest Java.

Restart your computer. Now follow the instructions below.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2009 10:00

ginnymusic,

Just a few questions before I go on a small trip to York County.

Since you said network, I would recommend using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router to make the conections work better. I use channel 11.

Since you still did not state how the printer is connected on your network, follow these instructions.(I think this was going to be one of my questions)

Disconnect the printer, run the patch, then restart your computer. When you go to install the drivers, choose network do the agreement, then you should see about 3 options on the connection, if you do not see these, click add, then select the proper selection. Then follow the instructions. Do NOT join the ink progranother am as it has some type of effect on Vista machines.(I think that was going to be my question about the ink improvement program)

Also try reading...

Sharing a printer through a wireless network

Since I found out that the OCR Program is NOT in the downloaded drivers, here are instructions for installing them from your printer disk.

As for scanning to scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Rick

Be back in maybe 2-3 hours.

4 Posts

March 22nd, 2009 10:00

Thanks, Rick - I tried all that and the printer still works fine but no scanning or copying.   I get a message that says "scan (or copy) was not successful" and lists steps to insure it's connected correctly.  I've done all those things too, but don't think that's the problem because the printer works fine.  Other information:  There is a RED X on the AIO920 icon  in the task bar at the bottom of the screen.  This is a 2nd computer on my wireless network.  Does it have to be configured differently to work the scanner or copier on the wireless network?  The main computer is a notebook Vista-64-bit operating system and is in the shop at the moment.  I have tried to use the scan and copy buttons on the printer and they don't work either.  I'd appreciate any other suggestions you might have.  Ginny

4 Posts

March 22nd, 2009 13:00

Oops - the second reference to the article should be - In the "Sharing a printer through a wireless network" article, it sounds like I have to have the printer...............etc.

4 Posts

March 22nd, 2009 13:00

The "Recommended wireless router settings" article lost me completely!   I have a Linksys Wireless-G router - model WRT 54G - and have no clue what "Channel 11" is.  My main computer (which is not here now) is a laptop Vista 64-bit and that and my XP laptop are running on my wireless network.  The  AIO920 printer is presently hooked up with a USB cord from printer to XP computer which is running  on my wireless network.

I followed your directions to reinstall the drivers again until I got to the "choose network" directive.  From the set-up,  it went immediately into the install of the drivers and I didn't find any place to make the network selection.  I really don't need or care if the printer is networked ... just need it to copy and scan as well as it prints, when it's hooked up by the USB cord to the computer!!! 

In the "Recommended Wireless Router Settings," article, it sounds like I have to have the printer attached to the main (host) computer to make any settings changes, so I couldn't do that.

I followed the directions to install the OCR Program and it installed successfully, but still no copies and scanning.  Maybe I just have to be satisfied with printing until my other computer gets back!! 

Thanks for your prompt follow-ups and if you can think of any other "cures" I'd be glad to try them.  

Ginny

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2009 17:00

ginnymusic,

Since you just want to connect the printer with the USB Cable, you only have to de these steps.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers. Install ONLY the drivers you need.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Rick

No Events found!