Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 28th, 2010 18:00

Dell AIO 922 only Prints after restaring computer

When I try to print anything, nothing happens until I restart my computer, then the printer prints the documents. same thing over and over! I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with a Dell AIO 922 Printer, using Windows XP. Please Help

6 Posts

March 28th, 2010 20:00

I too have had that problem, so I created three batch files using Wordpad.

First batch file: Open wordpad.

Enter the following:

net stop spooler

Save the file to the following:  "C:\StopSpooler.bat"

Please use the quotes or Wordpad will add a dot txt to the file's name

Second batch file: Open Wordpad

Enter the following

del c:\windows\system32\spool\printers\*.*

Save the file to the following:  "C:\DeleteSpooler.bat"

Third batch file: Open Wordpad

Enter the following

net start spooler

Save the file to the following:  "C:\StartSpooler.bat"

When the files have been created and written to the root of the C: drive, click Start.

click Run.  In the input field type CMD.

In the command window, type cd C:\

That will put in into the root directory.  

Type stopspooler and press the Enter key.

When the prompt returns, type deletespooler and press the Enter key.

You will be asked to verify the delete, respond with "Y" and then the Enter key.

When the prompt returns, type startspooler and once more press the Enter key.

Try printing again.  This routine has saved me a few times as the spooler can get hung or confused.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 28th, 2010 20:00

harkway,

Would it be easier to use this..

Delete Print Jobs

Rick

6 Posts

April 6th, 2010 17:00

You are right.  It is easier.  I changed my three to your one but made an additional adjustment.

Yours is

net stop spooler

del %systemroot%\system32\spool\printers\*.shd

del %systemroot%\system32\spool\printers\*.spl

net start spooler

My new one is 

net stop spooler

del /q %systemroot%\system32\spool\printers\*.*

net start spooler

The /q for 'quite' removes the "Y/N' prompt.

I know.... Six of one, half a dozen......

Thanks for your posting!

7 Posts

April 7th, 2010 10:00

The replies I received concerning my original posting, work as far as removing print jobs from the print que, but I still can't print anything unless I restart my computer. When the computer is restarted it prints the previously attempted print job, but will not print anything else unless I Restart again!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 7th, 2010 11:00

Now try using these tweaks and see if this helps.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

7 Posts

April 8th, 2010 09:00

Rick

I tried the tweaks you mentioned and I still have the same problem. Any other suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 8th, 2010 14:00

RustySteel,

You could try reinstalling the printer using the instructions located at...

922 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Virus programs and firewalls can cause problems. There are also two know issues, but since I do not know the make and model of your computer, I don't know if you have one of them or not.

Rick

7 Posts

April 9th, 2010 01:00

Rick

I have a Dell Dimension 4700.  My OS is Windows XP Home Edition. I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer and the driver several times.  I've gone through the troubleshooter multiple times.  I've tried updateing the driver at the Dell website and at Windows update. I've rolled back the driver. I've searched these forums and tried every suggested fix I could find. Nothing seems to work, sometimes the fix makes the problem worse and I can't print at all!

Also I have Norton Internet  security Suite and am using the firewall that came with it.

I will try reinstalling the printer again using your instructions. I think I looked at them before, but it looked like they were for Windows 7, not XP.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 9th, 2010 02:00

You need to disconnect the USB Cable that goes from the computer to the printer. Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility, then restart your computer when prompted.

Install the proper drivers, if using Windows 7, then make sure to install in the compatibility mode. The printer remains disconnected until the drivers are installed and you get the message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on) If the computer doesn't find the printer, try a different USB Port. If that doesn't work, then go to Drivers & Downloads, enter your service tag number and install the desktop utility and the chipset drivers and see if this corrects the USB Port problem.

You need to read THIS ARTICLE. You have to allow the printer past Norton. The settings are for an older version but should get you in the ballpark to change the settings.

Rick

No Events found!