Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2009 20:00

Dell AIO 946 will not print black

I have a Dell AIO 946 with a USB connection that just stopped printing in black.   I have followed Dell's trouble shooting recommendations (ie., disconnect and reconnect power supply, clean the cartridge nozzles, checking ink levels, disconnect all data connections).  I also followed the advice given in several threads to disconnect the printer, download and run the 946 patch, restarting, downloading the 946 driver, reconnecting the printer and installing the 946 driver and installing the firmware for the 946.   The printer still does not print black.  On pages with black and color, the color prints.  On black and white, I get blank pages.  

Are there any other solutions?  I have a Dimension E521 running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Thanks!

11 Posts

January 10th, 2009 21:00

I guess I wasn't clear.  The printer does not copy or print from the black ink cartridge.  It will copy "black", but it is copying what is on the page that I place on the glass to copy....it is still copying the black from the color ink cartridge, if that makes sense.  The copy looks exactly like the page that was copied, what ever colors are on the page copy.  If I select copy black from the printer, the page is blank.  If I select "print in black and white" in word, the page prints blank.  Also, I have already performed all of the tasks that you recommend (see my first post) after reading your recommendations in other posts.  

11 Posts

I also went to advance internet options....under printers there is a option to check a box to print color and background images, it is not checked.  I just tried to print an email in black and white, blank page. 

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

dstsp93,

I was trying to narrow down if the printer will print black at all. So if you copy something, it will print black

I would look at the setting in Word and see what you can change to make it work. Also try Internet options, Advanced and check your printing settings there.

I've had people say their printers print blank pages. They have re-installed the printer following the instructions below and that corrected it.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

11 Posts

I should clarify... By default the printer copies in color....so when place a page to be copied it copies just like it looks... if I select black as the copy color when printing a copy, it prints blank. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

dstsp93,

What happens when you copy a black & white document on the printer? Does it print black?

Rick

11 Posts

If I write something on a sheet of paper in black ink and copy, it comes out.  Printing a word document, from the web, etc. does not print in black and white.  Test pages do not print black ink, only the part of the test that is in color.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 10th, 2009 22:00

dstsp93,

Sounds like you have a bad Dell Series 5 ink cartridge. It is not printing black when you copy then that's the problem.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges .

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

If the printer does copy black, using the black cartridge, the try control panel, printers and faxes, preferences, advanced, more options and make sure the complete a print boxes are unchecked.

Rick

11 Posts

see reply below

11 Posts

I purchased a new black cartridge, dispite the ink levels showing full, when the problem started.  It does not print black with either.  Out of curiosity, though the cartridge doesn't appear to be the problem, what makes a cartridge that previously worked go "bad". 

Also, though not printing/copying in black....I went to the printer advanced preferences, and I didn't see print boxes option.  That sounds similar to what is unchecked under internet options. 

Thanks!

11 Posts

January 12th, 2009 09:00

Hi, I am following up on the post that I made in reply to your recommendation to buy a new cartridge.  Please let me know if you have any other advise.

Thanks!

I purchased a new black cartridge, dispite the ink levels showing full, when the problem started.  It does not print black with either.  Out of curiosity, though the cartridge doesn't appear to be the problem, what makes a cartridge that previously worked go "bad". 

Also, though not printing/copying in black....I went to the printer advanced preferences, and I didn't see print boxes option.  That sounds similar to what is unchecked under internet options. 

Thanks!

3 Posts

November 6th, 2009 15:00

dstsp93

i am having the same problem...i was away for two months. came back and the 946 will not print black.  i did all the troubleshooting suggested and put in a new black cartridge....and still doesnt print black. did you find a solution? i am about to go out and buy the espson stylus nx515!

11 Posts

November 7th, 2009 18:00

TRJ,

You have found the perfect solution.....ABANDON SHIP!  I had the same problem twice, it turns out that Dell is pushing cartridges with poor quality ink, that doesn't last long even if you do get to use the entire cartridge and what isn't used dries up quickly!  Despite this being an obvious problem, they are unwilling to do much about it.  After escalating my complaints, they offered to SELL me a series 8 cartridge, supposedly better quaility than series 5! After more complaining, they sent the series 8 cartridge free....but I have yet to open it because from the reviews I read they don't last long either.

3 Posts

November 7th, 2009 18:00

thanks dstsp93

would you please let me know if the new cartridge works?  frankly, i thought it was a short in the printer and not an ink problem as i put in a new series 8 with no success. i did but the series 8 a year ago so perhaps dried out.  given a new epson NX515 (which gets a great review from cnet) only costs $100 online, i am reluctant to spent $83 buying 3 new cartridges from dell. (seems they only sell bundles of 3.)

11 Posts

November 7th, 2009 19:00

I first thought it was a printer problem also, but I did all the trouble shooting and nothing helped.  I also read reviews outside of dell community and there are TONS of problems with cartridges.  A new cartridge works well, but only for a short time.  Dell seems to sell great printers and terrible ink!!  You can get them individually at walmart, walmart.com and staples. I am also thinking about trying a re-fill.......but I hear that can damage the printer.  I don't print much, so I don't know that I will purchase a new printer....but, after it may be worth just getting one. Given the time that the cartridges last, spending $83 sooner than later is inevitable.

3 Posts

November 9th, 2009 13:00

thanks again dstsp93. i went to staples, bought a cartridge (for almost $30 including tax), and the printer works. just ridiculous that the two i have did not!

No Events found!