KatBaintreach
1 Copper

Re: Dell AIO A920 Printer Cannot Communicate with Computer

I still have a working A920.  Do you make a negative scanner accessory for this printer and is it compatible with Windows 7?

Also, all my equipment is several years old, my desktop, laptop, printer etc., all DELL, all bought online from you in the USA!   But when I enter any of the service numbers in to just live chat to ask this very simple question, it says I have purchased my system from outside the USA.  PLEASE!!  I am very disappointed in this part of DELLs customer service.  I am getting a new system in July and just needed to check to make sure I could still use this printer.

May need to go the MAC route.  Please tell your bosses this is very disappointing since I have been a DELL fan for years!  All my kids have Dells and now this.  Just isn't right!

0 Kudos

KatBaintreach,

Before you try to conect the printer, try installing the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit in the Vista Compatibility mode

You mentioned that you're outside the United States, if the operating system is not English(US) let me know and we'll try to help you install the printer.

Dell A920 All-In-One Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)

Did you tranfer the Waranty? International Ownership Transfer Form

Contact Dell

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
daisyjane111
1 Copper

HI,

I too am having trouble.  I have Windows 7 and this is the first time this has happened.  My Dell crashed the second time which I've had for 7 years. At this time,  I had no choice financially but to purchase a used computer that my tech guy had built. It has worked great so far, except that I can't print to my Dell A920.  I have downloaded the software compatable to the printer.  It says it can't read it or communicate with the printer. So I found your website and understand that you are saying that the drivers for XP are still on the computer and that is why it won't communicate.  Well, this computer didn't have XP on it ...it has windows 7 so how could that be the problem?

Thank you.

daisyjane

0 Kudos

daisyjane,

Try running Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and post the rest of the information back here.

Also provide the virus program and firewall you're using.

Rick

#DellRockstar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
JoshKemm
1 Copper

I had pretty much the same problem as the rest of you. It would scan, but not print. Tried practically everything. First, I tried it on my mom's XP system, but I think the file was corrupted. Second, I tried it on my computer, doing a bunch of things; it only scanned, no printing. Then, I went back to my mom's computer, did some things, and now it works.

I would really only do this on an XP system. (Dell Printer AIO A920)

1. Download support.dell.com/.../download.aspx. Make sure the printer is unplugged. Extract, run, and reboot.

2. Plug the printer in. Do not allow Windows to update. I used the CD that came with the computer to install the driver. Follow the setup.

3. Should work fine!

a. If the steps above don't work, try using the Windows updater. I seriously doubt this will work though. Sometimes going back to a previous version of a driver is the best solution.

0 Kudos

JoshKemm,

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stukc porint jobs from the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart yuor computer.

Restart your computer.

Insert the printer disk and follow the instructions. You should get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the patch can be found at...

Dell A920 All-In-One Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jastco
1 Copper

I have successfully solved my Dell Printer AIO A920 problems after 3 months of trying every solution suggested in forums, windows dell etc.

My operating system is Windows XP and my printer stopped functioning properly around September 2011. I wasn't able to change the printer preferences and copy on the scanner didn't work.

Because so many forums pointed to my sony ericcsson phone drivers being the cause of symptoms I spent many futile hours with that one.

I almost threw in the towel until I decided to have one last go at fixing the printer and decided to try downloading the Windows Vista driver for the printer despite my OP being Windows XP.

Hallelujah, it worked. OK, with a few tweaks and installing software from the original cd, but it now works perfectly and even talks to me!

I downloaded the Vista driver from here:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&docid=266371&doclang=en...=

0 Kudos
jastco
1 Copper

The link I posted earlier is incorrect.

Here is the correct link for the Dell printer AIO A920 driver.

Choose the Windows Vista 32 bit driver for computer with OS Windows XP SP3 with most recent updates.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&D...

0 Kudos