Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 1st, 2011 14:00

Dell AIO Photo 964 will not print after replacing ink

I ran out of black ink so I installed a new one that I purchased from Dell. When I tried to print anything or make a copy I just get a blank page. When I do a test page it  prints, just the black lines not the colored. Anybody got any ideas!!!! I have tried 2 different ink cartridges and get the same thing.  Worked fine before I installed the new ink.

Barbara

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 1st, 2011 14:00

Barbara,

Sounds like you got bad Dell Series 5 ink cartridges.

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer. 

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 5 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 5 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 5 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

1 Message

May 4th, 2011 04:00

I am having the same problem with this printer.  My black cartridge was not a series 5 but a series 8.  I unplugged the printer,

got the black and colour cartridge out; put them back in.  But no effect : the printer doesn't "see" the cartridge; I get the mention :

left cartridge is missing.  I already tried two new cartridges; how can this be solved ? I am desperate...

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 4th, 2011 11:00

mmwriva,

If you have a Dell 964 Printer, you should be using Dell Series 5 ink cartridges.

Rick

December 21st, 2011 14:00

I am experiencing the same issue that Barbara is/did.  I am using Dell-branded cartridges and have already taken one back to the retailer and replaced it with another.  I have unplugged the printer and reseated the cartridges, as directed.  When it first powers up, it shows a full black cartridge (the one I'm having issues with), but it shows an empty cartridge after the alignment page prints.  If I put the old, mostly empty cartridge back it, it will properly recognize the current state of affairs.  However, when I put the new one back it, I receive a "Left cartridge missing. Insert Black or Photo Cartridge."  Any suggestions on where to proceed from here?  -  g^2

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 21st, 2011 15:00

GoodDogTraining

What is the ink level on the printer's screen?

If it shows low or empty, then the sensor in the Dell Series 5 ink cartridge is also bad.

Rick

December 21st, 2011 16:00

"When it first powers up, it shows a full black cartridge (the one I'm having issues with), but it shows an empty cartridge after the alignment page prints."  More specifically, the display shows an empty column (black at just the bottom) with a white 'X' on a red circle, the same thing that shows when I re-install the mostly empty cartridge.  

So you're thinking (as am I) that it's a bad cartridge issue?  Since I went back to the same retailer, is it possible I received another cartridge from the same bad batch (assuming it's a bad batch)?  

How does the cartridge sensor work; does the printer mark the cartridge as low, or is that all handled internally to the cartridge itself?  I'm still trying to verify that it's the cartridge and not the printer, but a sample size of three is obviously insufficient, but I cannot afford to buy and test a few dozen cartridges.  -  g^2

December 21st, 2011 17:00

GoodDogTraining,

Place of purchase shyould replace at no charge. I have seen a few cartridges with bad sensors. I have also seen one reading on the printer and another on the computer.

I would take to place of purchase for a refund, then try another retailer, ike Walmart or Staples.

Rick

5 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 13:00

just purchase a 964 color cartridge and i cant even get it to seat right. i have to push down really hard to close the cover and than it wont recognize it. please help!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2013 15:00

pradousmc,

Are you using Dell Series 5 ink cartridges?

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer.

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell Series 5 black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell Series 5 ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 5 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

2 Posts

July 15th, 2013 18:00

I have also recently run into the problem where the 964 printer isn't recognizing the printer cartridge.  I returned the first one that had problems figuring it was a bad cartridge.  The second one worked fine for about 30 pages of work, but now the printer isn't recognizing this black cartridge either.  I've tried the unplug, reseating cartridges, etc.  Gives me cartridge error 1203 when I try an alignment.  Any suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 16th, 2013 02:00

shannonckd,

Are you using Dell Series 5 ink cartridges, generic ink cartridges or refilled cartridges?

Rick

July 16th, 2013 10:00

Hi, Shannon,

So sorry you're encountering the same problems.  I failed in every attempt to get the printer to work and finally just bought a new printer.  Needless to say, I did NOT buy a Dell.  Best to you.

2 Posts

August 2nd, 2013 14:00

It's OfficeMax generic for the Dell.  I have utilized Dell, refillables & generics over many years, and this is the first time that I've run into this issue.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2013 15:00

shannonckd,

Maybe the cartridge has a faulty sensor.

Rick

1 Message

June 28th, 2015 13:00

NAh... its the printer... having the same issue tried several new INKS....... help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Events found!