Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2010 22:00

Dell AIO printer 942 installation with Windows 7

Recently I bought a new dell laptop that drives on windows 7. Because I still had my old printer and because this printer is still working perfect, I wanted to install it on my laptop but this won't work out. Is there someone who can help me?

Greetings,
Silke

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2010 01:00

Silke,

I really don't have anyone that reported back that they got the Dell 942 printer to work with Windows 7. I have the instructions located at...

942 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread

The trick is to get a clean start and then install the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. I suggest trying the Vista SP2 compatibility mode first. If that does not work, then try the XP SP3 compatibility mode.

Let me know what happens.

Rick 

1 Message

February 14th, 2010 19:00

Good Evening PudgyOne,

I just wanted to personally thank you for your work on this site. I spent my entire valentines day sunday trying to get this dell 942 printer to print from this new toshiba laptop i bought for my wife. i ran the patch to remove the previous drivers and installed the 32, xp, 64 drivers like 10 times total. I kept reading and reading all your posts relating to this printer. Out of frustration I went back one more time and noticed you mentioned compatibility mode and googled how to get that going and I am proud to say i printed finally thanks to your work. Many, many, many, many, many thanks. Seriously, without you I probably would have just bought an entirely new printer. I signed up for a dell community user name just to send you this note. Thanks again!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 14th, 2010 19:00

ipoppedoff,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21:Glad you got it working Thanks for posting back. Actually, you did all the herd work.

So you're telling me that you got the Dell 942 Printer to work with Windows 7 using the compatibility mode, correct? I have a list I have compounded and I do not have any confirmations on this printer being installed on Windows 7, yet.

The compatibility mode is easy. Do you remember if you used Vista, Vista SP2 or XP?

Right click on the drivers file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator.

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

Rick

3 Posts

February 15th, 2010 00:00

Hey,

Great that it worked for you. I still have problems installing my printer. Could you tell me wich driver you have used and under wich compability. At the moment I've been able to install my scanner but I still can't print.

You would be a great help,

Greetings from Belgium,

Silke

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 15th, 2010 09:00

Silke,

Can I ask you a few questions?

The language that you have installed on your computer, what language are you using?

Did this printer work with a previous operating system, like Vista or XP?

Let me explain. I had an issue where someone else was trying to install the printer. The drivers I provided were for English OS and their computer was in German. I could not find drivers to work, as the drivers were for English OS only.

I'm thinking if we can find drivers for your operating system, even using the disk in the compatibility mode, we might be able to get the printer working.

Rick

3 Posts

February 16th, 2010 03:00

My version of windows 7 is in Dutch. My old computer was that to and had windows xp. Under that system my printer worked.

greeting,

Silke

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 16th, 2010 08:00

Silke,

When you installed the printer on the XP system, did you use the printer disk or drivers from Dell's website. If you used the disk, you can try two things.

You can try installing the printer drivers from the disk. When and it the printer installs, try it first before answering the Windows 7 question, did this program install correctly. If it doe not work, then answer the Windows 7 question with no, then it will ask you about compatibility issues. Select that you want to use Xp compatibility mode and see what happens.

Second choice is to try gound to drivers and downloads in your Country and select, Choose a Model, Printers, Printers, scroll down until you see your printer, confirm it. Try downloading the XP Drivers from there. Then try installing the printer in the compatibility mode.

Right click on the drivers file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to XP(I tried XP SP3). Then right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator.

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

Rick

4 Posts

May 9th, 2010 21:00

Hello Pudgy One,

Well, I have just bought a new Dell computer with a Windows 7 operating system, and I am determined to get the 942 AIO printer to work with it.  I have gone to the driver download site, and tried to download Vista drivers through the Dell download manager.  What keeps happening is that it tells me that I must have the Dell download manager so I click on download and it downloads only the download manager each time.  I must have downloaded the download manager 10 times.  Is there any way to just download the drivers without using the download manager? If and when I can get the Vista drivers for the printer installed, I can try installing them in compatibility mode??? How do I get to the point of even being able to download the Vista SP2 drivers in compatibility mode? Thank you if you have any advice.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 10th, 2010 01:00

jennieship,

You need to read this...

How to by-pass the Dell Download Manager, then use Internet Explorer to download the drivers, in your browser.

Disconnect the printer. Then download and run the patch(printer cleanup utility) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

The follow the instructions located at...

942 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Please use the first and second threads. The second thread, marked, verified answer, gives additional information another member needed to do to get the printer to install.

Let me know what happens.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 10th, 2010 20:00

jennieship,

Start, control panel, system. There is will tell you if you have Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit. Download the Vista drivers that match yout operating syste,, Vista 32-bit for Windows 7 32-bit and Vista 64-bit for Windows 7 64-bit.

Remember to install the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode.

Rick

4 Posts

May 10th, 2010 20:00

Hello again, Pudgyone! Well, I am halfway there.  Following your instructions posted in the thread you suggested, I removed the printer drivers from my computer completely (I think).  Now I am wondering which drivers I should install---Vista 32 or 64 bit.  I honestly do not know the difference.  Mind you that I have Windows 7 and will be running the drivers in compatibility mode.  Does it matter? Thank you for all of your advice you post in this forum! 

4 Posts

May 10th, 2010 21:00

Oh Great Pudgyone,

Thank you for all of your advice.  As you can tell, I am not at all a "techie," but my printer is now working! I kept going through the directions in your thread, and it took me a couple of hours, but I figured out that what was getting in my way.  I had downloaded so many different drivers during my experimentation/trial & error process and the patch did not delete all of the drivers I had downloaded.  It was not until I went to the My Documents folder and manually deleted all of those different drivers and other AIO 942 software that it finally worked for me.  So if anyone out there finds themselves going in circles, delete any other printer drivers you may have downloaded prior and follow the instructions in Pudgyone's thread!  All I can say is that my AIO 942 printer is working with my new 'puter and I don't have to buy another one! It is printing like a new printer! Now if my husband will please not download any more viruses from Facebook... which is why we ended up with a new computer...  

:emotion-1: jennieship

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 10th, 2010 22:00

jennieship,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

You have to watch those applications from Facebook.

What virus protection are you using?

Did you try downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware update it and do a quick scan. Remove anything it finds. I update it and run a scan every couple of days.

Rick

November 20th, 2011 17:00

My son downloaded the "R151559" printer driver, File version 1.3.2.6557.

I am not sure why, I thought it was a 64 bit driver, but he installed in on our Windows 7 32 bit computer which is our home net work  printer server. The printer works for all systems on the network. XP and Windows 7, 32 bit and 64 bit computers.  I was happy he got it working.

17 Posts

August 10th, 2014 10:00

Where in the world can I find setup.exe file. I'm trying to install my 942 AIO printer on Windows 7. I have removed the printer from my computer, even removing it using control panel and the Manual removal. I have supposedly got the right driver but it stops when downloaded, leaving me up in the air. 

Thank you.

No Events found!