Highlighted
maskedferret
1 Copper

Dell AiO 962 - Unable to connect to Vista64 host from Vista32 client

A Win7 x64 client however has no problems connecting and printing.  (add network printer -> done!)

The firewalls (Norton & Windows) on the Vista32 machine have been disabled.  When trying to add a printer it is able to see it ( \\foo-pc\DELL962 ), however; when attempting to connect to / add it, the error that pops up is: "Windows cannot connect to the printer.  Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000002)."

I have seen PudgyOne's canned first step suggestions and have followed the relevant sections (Vista32 machine is updated, inc. Java, attempted uninstalling [via patch] and installing Vista32 drivers locally [R151564.exe] to no avail).  Installing the software completes successfully, however attempting to print yields an "unable to communicate with printer" message.

The additional x86 shared drivers for the printer on the host are selected (along with x64).  Uninstall and install procedures have been performed on the host machine as well.

Barring fault with the client machine, I suspect there may be an issue with the 64-bit software package not properly advertising the 32-bit drivers as I have a 32-bit XP machine that is also unable to connect.

I am unfortunately out of ideas at this point;  is anyone able to help?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
PudgyOne
6 Indium

Re: Dell AiO 962 - Unable to connect to Vista64 host from Vista32 client

maskedferret,

I have never tried printer sharing. I use a wireless print server on my printer. This information should be able to point you in the right direction as I don't think it should matter if it's 32-bit or 64-bit.

File and Print Sharing in Vista (Thanks to mombodog)

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos