Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2008 16:00

Dell All-In-One 946 Problem Communication with the Printer!!

Hey guys I have a Dell 946 and its been working fine and know all of a sudden it keeps saying "Cannot communicate with the printer" Whenever I try to print. I have unplugged the USB cable and power cable and put them back in and also restarted my computer but I had no luck. Someone please help me! I need to get this fixed I have a college paper due!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 18th, 2008 16:00

kickstar13,

Try this...

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

20 Posts

December 18th, 2008 17:00

Thanks soo much. I really appreciate your help. :emotion-1: My Printer is working now. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

kickstar13,

Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the soultion so is someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem.

Thanks and have a great Holiday,

Rick

20 Posts

OKay sorry to bother you again but it says the message again and wont print.  "communication not availible" cant connect to computer. Please help me!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 18th, 2008 18:00

kickstar13,

Restart your computer(with the printer connected and powered on). If I'm correct, everything should come back. If it doesn't come back, then disconnect the printer, run the patch, restart the computer, install the proper drivers, connect the printer when prompted(powered on)

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to the USB Root Hubs, right click on each, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power. Do this for all the USB Root hubs.

Rick

20 Posts

December 29th, 2008 10:00

Thanks soo much. My problem is solved now. My printer is working perfectly. Thanks for your help!

Okay how do I mark is problem as solved?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 29th, 2008 11:00

kickstar13,

Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you sole your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Thanks,

Rick

1 Message

January 27th, 2012 13:00

Mine keeps doing this.  I've applied the patch and it just keeps breaking again.  I have to trick it by continually unplugging and replugging the USB cord.  This is getting really tiresome. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 27th, 2012 13:00

RevPrints,

The patch is a Printer cleanup utility and removes the drivers.

Make and model of your computer and operating system is helpful. 32-bit or 64-bit?

Virus program and firewall you're using.

Rick

1 Message

September 18th, 2014 10:00

I have always had a problem sometimes getting a file out of the print queue.  Usually deleting it and then rebooting the computer works and sometimes when it comes back on it will print the document even though I asked it to delete it.  Monday however, it would not delete the 8 page color document but kept reprinting the first page over and over again,.  After 10 pages of using up my color ink, I decided to remove the printer and reinstall it.  It didn't actually remove the printer from the dialog box, but added another one.  After many maneuvers and removing the second one, I finally got the printer to show up in Excel again as an available printer but it does not communicate with the printer.  No error messages, just goes into the print queue and out without actually printing.  I followed your instructions above and unchecked the USB hubs but it still doesn't print.  I even change to a new cord just to be sure that wasn't the issue.  I have unplugged the printer and unconnected it many times and it still does not print my document.  I don't know where to go from here.  Any help would be gratefully appreciated.  Thank you. Dell 946 printer  Windows 7 cpu

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 21st, 2014 12:00

moodyjudy,

Try running Delete Print Jobs to remove the stuck print job(s) from the queue, then restart your computer.

Let me know if the issue continues.

Rick

No Events found!