Highlighted
mscool1967
1 Copper

Dell All-in-one center won't load / run (946 AIO printer)

I had to reinstall Windows XP and am struggling with the printer set up. I have download the latest drivers, including the patch provided for 946 printers. I can print without issue, but in order to scan, I need the All-in-One center. When I try to open it, I get a pop-up that says "preparing Dell All-in-one center for the first use". This runs for a bit (~ a minute or so) then a microsoft error box pops up that says "AIOC has encountered a problem & needs to close".

My printer was shipped with my machine originally and as such, I have no CD for it.

Any ideas / suggestions?

System info: Dell Demension E520; Windows XP Home Edition SP3 (32 bit); IE8.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Dell All-in-one center won't load / run (946 AIO printer)

mscool1967,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&docid=268873&doclang=en...

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
mscool1967
1 Copper

Sorry for the delay in response --life got in my way Smiley Happy!

I definately installed the chipset, but I know it was one of the last things I did, so definately not in the right order. I am not sure about the desktop utility. So what do I do now to get them "in the right order"? Do I need to uninstall things before proceeding? Is there harm in reinstalling the drivers again but in the proper order without getting rid of what's currently on my machine?

Thanks for assistance..

C.

0 Kudos

mscool1967,

Download and install in order...

Dell Desktop System Software and  the Dell Asset Utility  <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> and the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility

Then install the rest of the drivers in order.

Rick

#DellRockstar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
mscool1967
1 Copper

Well, unfortunately, Rick, after a few hours of downloading and running all the drivers in the proper order; getting / confirming I have the latest .net Framework and Java files, and then running the patch and downloading the latest driver for the 946, I am back to where I started -- "preparing Dell All-in-one center for the first use" runs for a bit (~ a minute or so) then a microsoft error box pops up that says "AIOC has encountered a problem & needs to close".

Now, for awhile there I couldn't communicate with the printer at all, so while I took a step backwards, I did resolve that by following your instructions in the 946 owners thead about the patch, so "back to where I started" isn't as bad as it could be -- at least I can print. But still no scanning abilities.

I appreciate all the time you have spent with me so far -- any "next steps" you can suggest?  

0 Kudos

mscool1967,

.net framework and Download Latest Java are needed to run the Dell All-In-One Center.

If you have the Dell All-In-One Center and installed the drivers from downloading them, then you need to install the OCR Program to be able to scan.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Also read...

Update list of applications to send scans to

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos