Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2017 19:00

H625cdw, can't see my SMB share folder

Have a Linksys router which has a built-in USB port (which I have a USB drive plugged into). This port is accessible via SMB at \\readyshare\USB_Storage. No username or password - all machines connected to this router can access it with no problem.

I'm trying to set up my H625cdw to scan to this location. I put "readyshare" in "Server Address", "USB_Storage" in "Share Name", and port 139. 

When I try to scan to this, I get error 031-548 "Failed to connect to SMB server".

I've been trying variations on settings, and found that when I put "USB_Storage\" (with the slash) in "Share Name", I get a different error (031-522 "Login authentication issue"). But there's no username/password. When I set a username/password (in the router settings and on the printer), I get the same error.

I've tried port 445, too -same result.

All other machines on the network see this SMB share with no issue. What could be preventing the printer from seeing it?

I'm just a consumer with a stupidly large laser printer at home - no servers or activedirectory or anything...

(I should note that this is my second H625cdw. I had one before that was set up and working properly, but a lightning strike took out my router and printer. I recall spending hours screwing around with these SMB settings the first time around, and eventually got it to work after some non-obvious tweaking, but I can't seem to get it working, this time. I don't think it has to do with the router, though, as the SMB share is accessible to all the computers...)

• 

16.7K Posts

October 16th, 2017 09:00

DANF12345,

Please click the link below to download the online user manual for setting up your printer.

Dell H625cdw Printer Online Manual

2 Posts

October 16th, 2017 20:00

Jesse,

I have that manual, and followed the setup instructions in it. Still having the problem.

• 

16.7K Posts

October 17th, 2017 09:00

danf12345,

The error 031-548 represents the following. SMB server login error. Logon time of SMB destination is expired. Tap
Close, or wait for 60 seconds for the printer to recover. Contact your
system administrator for the destination server setting.

You will need to contact Dell Printer Support for networking configuration of your printer.

1-800-624-9896

1 Message

January 22nd, 2019 18:00

In case anyone else comes here looking for a solution, I found one that may help.

I have a netgear router with a USB drive attached.  This is what I had to do.  The line following the entry is exactly what I typed into the field.  In parenthesis following that are my comments:

Name:

Readyshare (I think you can put anything here you want)

Server Type:

SMB (radio button)

Server Address:

192.168.1.1 (the local IP address of my router - same as I would type to go into the settings)

Share Name:

USB_Storage

Server Path:

Family (this is what I named the folder on my USB hard drive)

Server Port Number:

139 (this is one of the suggested port numbers; it worked and I didn't check 445 or anything else)

Login Name:

admin (this is the login name for my router)

Login Password

***** (OK, I'm not publishing this for the world, but it is the login password for my router)

Re-enter Password

***** (same as previous, of course)

P.S.  It was a total guess on my part.  I was trying all kinds of combinations when I noticed in the manual that you couldn't leave the password blank.  I didn't want to set a password for the shared folder, so I figured I'd try the router password and it worked.

No Events found!