Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2011 20:00

Dell P703W Printer Drivers for Win 7 Home Premium (64bit)

Sharing my story and asking for guidance.

I was attempting to scan pictures over WiFi with my printer and the Scan and Copy buttons in the Dell Imaging Toolbox were grayed out..  I tried making sure the drivers were installed properly, etc and everything was fine so I decided to uninstall the printer/drivers and reinstall them.  BIG MISTAKE!!!  When I tried the Driver CD and the drivers I downloaded from support.dell.com I got an error message that said, "The software is designed for  Windows 7 operating system only.  Use the other CD that comes with your Dell Photo P703W printer to install on Microsoft XP and Vista Operating Systems" as if I was not running Win7 already.

After several hours and a wasted call to Dell phone support I decided to restore my PC to an earlier date.  After this completed, the printer and drivers seemed to be installed properly but I then had to reconnect it to my WiFi.  After finishing that. I believe I may have discovered that the "Scan" and "Copy" features are not available over WiFi?

If the driver issue and/or the Scan over WiFi is not isolated to me, I'd be interested in hearing what you did to solve for these issues.  Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 16th, 2011 04:00

bgrygosurfs,

What virus protection and firewall are you using?

Try running Finding System Information remove your product ID and post the rest of the information back here.

Rick

May 16th, 2011 20:00

I am using Norton Security Suite.

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
OS Version:                6.1.7600 N/A Build 7600
OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration:          Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free
Registered Owner:          Bryan A Grygo
Registered Organization:   Microsoft
System Manufacturer:       Dell Inc.
System Model:              Studio XPS 8000
System Type:               x64-based PC
Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.
                           [01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~2668 Mhz

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 16th, 2011 20:00

bgrygosurfs,

Hopefully you're in the United States, since you removed the time zone and the operating system installed, hope this works.

If you upgraded this computer to Windows 7...

When you installed Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit) did you install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first? If not the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order If you cannot find Windows 7 drivers, then try using the Vista (or XP) 32-bit drivers, for Windows 7 32-bit of the Vista (or XP) 64-bit drivers for Windows 7 64-bit and install the drivers in the Compatibility mode

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Uninstall the printer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 64-bit drivers. Install the Vista 64-bit drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode If using network, choose network and follow the instructions. If using the USB Cable, install the drivers. You'll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

Links to the drivers can be found at...

Dell P703w All-In-One Printer owners thread

Allow a printer past Norton

Rick

No Events found!