Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 29th, 2009 15:00

Dell P703w All-In-One Printer owners thread

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java 

I recommend that you use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings to get the best communications between the printer and all the computers.

Disconnect the printer.

Uninstall the printer.

If using Windows 7 also try...Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on). Please make sure your computer is online when installing the drivers.

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

If using Windows 7, use the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility Vista SP2. Then right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator and follow the on screen instructions. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell Imaging Toolbox, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 29th, 2009 15:00

Dell Series 20 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 20 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It possible to get a Dell Series 20 Cartridge with a bad sensor. Take back to place of purchase for a replacement.

Rick

1 Message

August 2nd, 2010 20:00

I CANNOT get my P703W to work with my W7 64-bit machine (Dell Studio). The problems started when I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 in October 2009. My AiO was 2 months old then and it's been useless ever since. The installation works to to print through the printer on my wireless network.  But I can't get the scan or copy functions to work when connected via USB. When I try to install the printer using USB instead of wireless, it doesn't even read that the USB is connected so I can't continue with the install.

The frustrating thing is that SOMETIMES the compatibility fixes worked and I could work through USB (although it was a mystery how bc the USB install never worked).  But at those times, I lost wireless print functionality.  I have tried every fix I could find on these boards and I'm at loss. I must have uninstalled and reinstalled the application over a hundred times by now.

It's very frustrating to have a $200 printer that basically just sits there.  I am a self-employed freelancer so it's especially frustrating that I can use my machine.Do you have anything that might work?

Thanks!

Lea

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2010 12:00

Lea,

When you upgraded the system, did you install the drivers in order? How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

If you cannot find the Windows 7 64-bit drivers, did you install the Vista 64-bit drivers in the compatibility mode?

Right click on the drivers file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator.

Rick

1 Message

September 11th, 2010 18:00

I have had no luck at all with installing this printer to make it fully functional using WIN 7 32 bit. I can install so it will print from any pc on my home network, but the scan and copy buttons in the Dell Imaging toolbox aren't able to be used. I followed your network tips, but all of my settings were correct. Also, referring to your article above, my installation cd does not have an OCR folder. I have emailed Dell tech support, and they replied with a link to reinstall the drivers, but when I use that file, I get an error message saying does not match the media version. I chatted with another Dell tech, who told me this is a network issue and I would have to pay for support to get this printer working. I bought this printer at the same time I bought a new Dell laptop, and I think they should be compatible out of the box. Any ideas???

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 12th, 2010 15:00

markloe,

If everything is still under warranty, I would contact Dell Tech Support and let them take control of your computer and install the printer for you.

Sounds like your computer was purchased with Windows 7 32-bit, correct?

With the printer disconnected, uninstall the printer, then restart your computer. Then try downloading the Vista 32-bit drivers. Withe the computer online, try installing the Vista 32-bit drivers using the Compatibility mode

Virus programs and firewalls will block printer communications and the printer needs to ba allowed past it.

Rick

2 Posts

January 12th, 2011 13:00

I have a connectivity problem with my 703w.   I have installed, de-installed, re-installed drivers etc. but nothing seems to cure the issue.  Everything installs fine and the printer works with wirerless for a while.  But if I take my laptop out and connect to another network, and then come back to my home office where the printer is - my laptop gets an error trying to print.  Most often I have to power the printer down and back up, and also re-boot my computer.  (Studio 15 Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit).   I'm ready to just junk this printer and get an HP or something more reliable.  This is such a pain. 

No Events found!