rdbcatcher
1 Copper

Re: Dell Photo 944 all-in-one printer

Hello Rick,

I, too, have an issue just like the original poster. I have the Dell AIO Photo 944 that I lost the install cd for. I've downloaded the drivers for this printer onto my Dell Dimension 3000 (XP) and my HP Pavillion Dv6436nr (VISTA 32bit), but my problem is that after opening all the possible downloads and looking at the appropriate PDF's I couldn't find anything that resembled the utilities for this printer. The All-in-One Center and Photo Studio weren't there. I've contacted Dell about this and about getting a replacement install CD, but so far I've had no results. If you know of anything I've not tried or haven't understood about your solutions, be free to enlighten me. I need these programs because it's important for my home management and to have a printer for my network. In today's economy, I can't afford to buy a replacement AIO from anyone, so this is my only answer. Please help if you can, or at worse, point me in the direction of an aftermarket source that may have a program to substitute. Thank you for your time, Robert

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Robert,

Since you're networking the printer, you may want to read this, first.  Sharing a printer through a wireless network

I usually recomment using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router to make everything work better.(I use channel 11)

For printer and file sharing, I think you need to have an identical account and username on each computer(Example you need a rdbcatcher account on both computers with identical passwords.

You need to disconnect the printer, right click on the patch and run as administrator. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista machines, until it prompts you to restart your computer. Then restart the computer. Run the patch on both machines as it's a cleanup utility.

Install the drivers on the host machine, choose network, then you should be asked, the computer is the host computer. The follow the instructions.

After the host computer and printer work and you have setup it for printer sharing, then install the above drivers on the other computer, choose network , then choose the printer is connected to a host computer. And follow the instructions.

Firewalls need to have exceptions to allow them to communicate throught the network.

When all else fails, then try the FREE features in Network Magic

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
rdbcatcher
1 Copper

Howdy Rick,

Thanks for writing me with a possible solution. The drivers and patch were helpful to allow me to print, but my original problem still exists. I don't have the original Install CD, so I can't install the All-In-One Center and the Photo Studio programs. I can't find anyone that has one that could be used to help me. Not only is this a problem (Dell AIO Photo 944), I have the same problem with my other printer a Dell AIO a920 (lost Install CD). All these problems are because my computer that had the programs, was crashed and the HDD unrecoverable. Lost CD's are a horrible problem to fix (yet simple), but no one seems to have them and Dell refuses to help since the printers aren't new. If you or any one can point me in the right direction for these programs (or a CD), I'd be grateful. Drivers, seem to be only part of the problem we owners of older printers have.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

rdbcatcher,

WOW, do you get around. You can first request a backup set of 944 Printer disks by clicking below my signature and requesting a set. The link is good if you live in the United States and are the origional owner.

Are you trying to install the 944 and the A920 at the same time?

Disconnect all printers.

Run the patch for the A920, right click run as administrator and let it run until you're prompted to restart your computer, the restart your computer. Now run the other patch, (***PLEASE NOTE*** The patches are Cleanup Utilities for just the make and model printer specified, so yes you should have two different patches to run.) Restart when it's done.

Try installing the proper drivers for the A920 printer, first install the printer and you'll get prompted when to connect the printer(powered on) This printer should work, correct. If it does NOT work, then stop there and post back what happened.

Rick

#DellRockstar

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rdbcatcher
1 Copper

Hey there Rick,

Yeah, my wife says I get around a bit, too:emotion-14: . Unfortunately, when there's trouble to be found I'll be there:emotion-2: . Yes, I do have both the printers and I ran the patch for both of them (it took eight times for the A920 to cean up and six times for the 944 to clear). I did place a request for this printer's Install CD also, but same story as the A920....it's out of warranty and if you want help, call the Help Center and pay for it. Never once, has Dell been courteous enough to offer me the OEM disc, must have something to do with licensing issues and the printer been older than 2 years old. Enough soapboxing....:emotion-12: The A920 driver and AIOC you recommended went into the Vista laptop okay, then found the printer on the network after I re-installed it (using the software and drivers you linked to) on the host computer:emotion-21: . Incidentally, that's where all the problems began anyway (big HDD crash!! emoticon.Crying.title on the host). Now it's on both computers. The weird thing was that after it (my laptop) found it  on the host computer, it tried to access the printer on the network to print a target sheet, but said the printer wasn't responding and might be be busy or disconnected emoticon.Huh?.title . I tried printing from the host, and had no problems and the AIOC worked like it supposed to for faxing and scanning. By the way, the A920 is connected via USB to the host computer. I never was able to get the printer AIOC to scan or fax on my Vista laptop (but I CAN print), but it is a wifi connection that I used to try and access the scan/fax function with.Who knows, maybe that's why. I'm now going to try and do the same process with the software/drivers for the Dell AIO Photo 944 printer, since I'm theoretically done (I think) with the A920 install. I know it may be weird to have multiple printers on all my computers, but if one goes down I will have back-up. Another thought to ponder, I use one for photos and occational printing and the other for my default print jobs and faxing. That's why the A920 and its AIOC was so important (for the scanning and faxing), plus the ink is less than the 944. I need the 944 to be fully functional because it prints my pictures better and the ink isn't as expensive as my laserjet (Brother HL 2040). What can I say...when I got married, I got more than a wife:emotion-24::emotion-48:, but who's complaining.:emotion-4:

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Robert,

You're looking at Sharing a printer through a wireless network you may have been able to install the drivers on the host computer, choose network and select that this computer is the host computer. You need to allow the printer for sharing and also need to allow communications past your firewall.

On the Laptop, then install the drivers, choose network, then choose the printer is connected to a host computer.

I alway hated doing it this way because doing all the configurations and then you have to leave the host computer on to print.

My setup is that I use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in my wireless router, I use channel 11, and I have a Dell 964 AIO Photo Printer connected to a Dell Wireless Printer Adapter 3300. I have had up to five different Laptops, Dell/Compaq/HP  with Vista 32-bit, 64-bit, XP Home and never had a issue. I could print and scan wirelessly. Printer had a stand alone fax, so that wasn't an issue since I try not to fax but email whenever possible. The nice thing is I can print from the back patio to the printer in the house.

Some advice is that to print regular documents on the printer, Excel, Homework, etc... and an occasional picture. If I need many pictures printed, I have found that it's cheaper to take then to a store Kiosk or go online and upload the pictures to a store and have them print the pictures. Quality much better and much cheaper. Ink and paper costs verses prints from $0.09 to say even $0.20 is still cheaper than you can print them. I mostly keep my printer running for homework assignments and coupons and some documents from time to time.

Something for you to think about.

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos
rdbcatcher
1 Copper

Hey there, RIck

Your thoughts on printing and photo's are good ideas. I actually agree 100% with your logic. I  normally use Costco for my pic's and supplies, but lately have been experimenting with some online stores. I have found one on-line store  (http://www.inkjetsuperstore.com )  that's got good prices on re-manufactured ink cartridges and shippings only $5.95 for the whole order.

I must admit, having multiple printers is not fun, but this actually started as a hobby. I would rescue computers and printers that have been tossed. I'd troubleshoot and fix if possible, then I give most of it away afterwards but sometimes I find some that catch my eye. At this point, each of our computers (total of five) has a printer that I've rescued or rebuilt. So, what help you've given me has been used to help others and my family.  Thank you for your advice and sage wisdom.

Once I get my ink cartridges and install the software on the Host and network computers, I'll let you know how it went. I thank you very much for your time and efforts. Oh by the way, Dell emailed me yesterday about my CD request for both printers. They told me that both were over two years old and had expired warranties and to  " Please contact Expired Warranty Support department to resolve this issue. Please contact them at 1800-624-9896 and enter the express service code for the printer to reach them, it is a paid support " . It shocks me their resistance to help, but I guess if they help for everything, they won't sell anything new (?). Thank God for people like you, RIck.

Respectfully Yours,

Robert Beleele

0 Kudos
harrysmooth
1 Copper

Rick,

You are the MAN!!!! I have been having trouble getting my 944 to scan....it would Print anything just fine, but would not connect with the All in One Software to scan....I followed your directions to the tee, and IM SCANNIN AWAY BROTHER!!!!!

Thanks Rick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harry

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Harry,

Glad you got it working! emoticon.Yes.title Thanks for psting back. Looks like you're the one who did all the hard work researching for a solution.

Take care,

Rick

#DellRockstar

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

0 Kudos