Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2013 22:00

Dell Photo All-In-One Printer 964 Installation

I have a Dell Dimension E310 and a Dell Photo All-In-One Printer 964.  I am running Windows XP.

My printer was running fine, but scanning was not working right.

I uninstalled Dell Printer 964 using Change or Remove Programs.

I tried to re-install Dell Printer 964 using the Drivers and Utilities CD: Dell Photo All-In-One Printer 964 CD that came with my computer.  I have had this CD for 6 years and have used it to re-install printer before.

I place the CD in the D Drive.  Sometimes it will open the Installation Box (Sometimes it does not).where I can choose to Install for a Personal Computer or a Network Computer.  I click on Personal Computer and wait.  Nothing happens.  In the past this action would start the Printer Installation process.

Sometimes I place the CD in the D Drive and nothing happens.  In that case, I open My Computer then Right click on D Drive (which shows the Dell CD).  I click on Open.  Sometimes the Installation Box opens.  Sometimes it does not.

Sometimes a box opens that says the computer has detected new hardware - Dell Photo All-In-One Printer 964.  Instructions say to make sure the Dell Installation CD is in Drive D, then click Next.  It moves to another window where it says it is searching for the CD.  It just keeps searching but does not find it.

Has my Installation CD worn out?  Is that why the computer can't find it?  Or is something else going on?  Can I download the Printer software from the Dell website?  Can I get a new Drivers and Utilities CD: Dell Photo All-In-One Printer 964 CD?

I have a medium knowledge of the computer.

I appreciate any help someone might offer.

Thank you.

1.3K Posts

July 31st, 2013 00:00

Hi ColemanCreative,

Please follow the instructions mentioned in the link below to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your Dell Printer 964. Ensure there are no documents in queue prior to uninstalling the drivers.

How to Uninstall existing printer drivers: http://dell.to/18M5Oki

If the issue persists, follow the steps mentioned below:

Click on the link for Dell 964 Printer Drivers. Select Operating System (OS) as Vista. Once the OS is selected as Vista, you will see an added option for running a Clean-Up Assistant/Patch to remove older Dell Printer Software. Run the patch and then reboot the system. Ensure that the USB cable is not connected to the computer while uninstalling printer drivers.

For installing Dell 964 Printer Drivers:http://dell.to/13u7fzp

When the system has rebooted, check that the printer software has been deleted and then install the drivers from the same link mentioned above. This time, select the operating system as Windows XP which is the Operating System on your computer prior to downloading and installing the drivers.

Hope this resolves the issue for you. Let us know if further help is needed.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

1.3K Posts

August 1st, 2013 04:00

Hi Coleman Creative,

Thank you for your reply.

Generally, you should be able to install the drivers from the printer CD unless there is an issue with the CD.

Printer firmware is the program stored inside of a printer, which allows it to receive information and turn it into a printed image. The firmware update contains feature enhancements or changes that will help keep your system software current and compatible with other system modules.

Printer software generally refers to the printer drivers itself.

Sometimes, in order to uninstall the previous printer drivers completely (even though the printer is no longer seen under Devices in Control Panel), we have to run the Patch/clean up assistant. This patch is not available under the "How to Uninstall Printer Drivers " link.

It is available under the link for 964 Printer drivers which is: http://dell.to/13u7fzp

Once you have opened the link, select Operating System as Vista and then you will see the Patch/Clean up assistant (R166225.zip) listed. Follow the instructions for running this .zip file and then reboot the system. Once the system has rebooted, go back to the same link and download and install the drivers for your printer. Select the operating system as Windows XP prior to downloading as you have Windows XP on your system.

You may also find these links helpful:

The Printer did not Install Correctly or Gets a Communication Error:  http://dell.to/19z7ctG

How to Download and Install Printer Firmware: http://dell.to/1croVCR

Please reply if you have further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

July 31st, 2013 23:00

Hi Babita,

I am confused.  Hopefully, you can help me out.

First I need a definition of terms.  What is Firmware?  What is Software as it relates to my Dell Photo All-In-One Printer 964.

When I open my Printers and Faxes folder, I see Adobe PDF icon and Microsoft XPS Document Writer icon.  Nothing about Dell Photo All-In-One Printer 964 icon.

What I am trying to achieve is to get my printer reconnected to my computer so I can print, scan, copy and fax.  I can't do any of those things right now from the computer.

I tried to follow your suggestions listed above.  Here is what happened.

When I click on How to Uninstall existing printer drivers: http://dell.to/18M5Oki, and then select Operating System Vista, it takes me to a Windows website Troubleshoot printer problems  windows.microsoft.com/.../Troubleshoot-printer-problems.

I have never gotten the Clean-Up Assistant/Patch which you mentioned..

When I look under Remove Programs, I see nothing about the AIO 964.  I think the old software is gone.

"For installing Dell 964 Printer Drivers:  When I click on this link, it lets me download  R133178 to C:\DELL\Drivers\R133178.  Clicking on this I get a box that says it will dowload the AIO 964 software.  Next, a black DOS window appears.  Then a box appears that says "Firmware Update Utility.  There are two parallel horizontal bars that show installation progress.  The top one is labeled Flashing.  The bottom is labeled Total Progress.  The Flashing bar will reach 51% and the Total Progress bar reaches 63%.  Then both stop moving and a message box appears that says the Download is Complete.  

Next a box appears  that says AIO Firmware Update Utility.  Firmware Update Complete.  The firmware upgrade process has completed without receiving a Power On Reset alert.  Verify that the machine has finished updating firmware before removing power.  At the bottom is an OK button.  I click OK.  Next I restart the computer.  I check the Printers and Faxes folder and not AOI 964 printer is shown.

Going back to the AIO Firmware Update Utility box.  What is a "Power On Reset alert?"  How do I "Verify that the machine has finished updating firmware before removing power."?

Again using the old Drivers and Utilities: Dell Photo All-In-One Printer 964 CD in the past.  I would insert the CD in Drive D.  The CD would start to run and a box would appear on the screen that asked if I wanted to Install the Printer for Personal Computer or a Network Computer.  I would select Personal Computer.  After a few seconds, an Installation Progress would appear and I could watch it install the printer, the fax, the scanner, and copy functions.  I can't get the CD to load those options for me anymore.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your assistance.

August 1st, 2013 11:00

Hi Babita,

I got my printer to work.  Yeah!

After following your instructions, I was able to download the driver.  Then I could install my printer software from my CD.

Thank you very much for your help!

Gary C.

1.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2013 08:00

Hi Gary C.,

That is such wonderful news. I am delighted that the steps were helpful in resolving the issue and your printer is working fine now.

Please feel free to contact us in case you have further queries, we would be happy to help.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

No Events found!