Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2009 15:00

Dell Printer AIO 960 won't connect

My dell printer is connected via USB to a desktop. that work fine. I need to connet via wireless network to my Dell laptop xps M1330 running Vista Home Premium. In the past the connection has worked before on the wireless network, but now not able to print via wireless network. The wireless network is up and running for internet connection, so no problems with the modem or router.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 24th, 2009 23:00

Sean,

I usually ask people to use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in their wireless router. Running the patch( a printer cleanup utility is very helpful no matter what the operating system is.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(run as administrator), a MUST on Vista machines, until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers. Only download the drivers you need.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on) Please use a 5ft or smaller USB Cable.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Sharing a printer through a wireless network

Rick

16 Posts

August 3rd, 2009 10:00

Rick

I tried your recommendtion, but still same problem: Printer works with desktop connected via USB and works with two other laptops connected wireless. One of the laptops is running Vista, the other is XP. My third laptop is the problem, it was connected to the printer in the past via wireless, 2 weeks ago it stopped working - not sure what changed. My third laptop is xps m1330 running vista. Any suggestions on how to get the m1330 printing again on the network?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2009 11:00

Sean,

Did you look and see if Microsoft updated the drivers?(Try rollback drivers?) If the drivers were updated by Windows Updates, you may have the wrong drivers and/or they got installed wrong. This happens quite often and when I questioned a person from Microsoft about this, the answer he gave me was that the drivers were provided by the manufacturer.

Did you try running the patch on the XPS M1330? Right click on the patch and run as administrator. Run it until it prompts you to restart your computer. The patch is a Printer Cleanup Utility and removes everything the printer had there. It gives you a clean start to start over. It has to be run on Vista machines.

Some of the wireless cards work better on channels 1, 6 or 11, I use channel 11.  I notice that some people leave the router select the channel but I select the channel myself. WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security, correct?

System Restore might work but I haven't had many people had any sucess with that.

Have you scanned for Malware. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware update it and do a quick scan. If it finds anything, then go to DELL Malware Removal Forum read the top post by bugbatter and follow the instructions.

Let me know what happens.

Rick

No Events found!