Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 1st, 2012 10:00

Dell Printer Al in one Model V525w

M y name is Jerry Steiner and have a Microsoft Vista HomePremium with a 32 bit Processor my Browser is Internet 8. I have a wireless network and have the printer hooked up to the network. I just bought  the Dell Printer Al in one Model V525w and am having trouble figuring out how to scan. Can someone show me where I can get instructions on how to scan and print or scan and save to my comuter etc.

Thank you.

Jerry

July 5th, 2012 20:00

Jerry,

Don't think I every created a profile for my printer. I just updated the applications to send scans to and removed the ones that I did not use. I usually scan from the printer to the selected computer. I scan iamges to IrfanView and documents, usually to Adobe Reader.

I would think the profile would be saved on the computer that was being used at the time.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 1st, 2012 12:00

Jerry,

Is this still using the Dell Inspiron 530? Vista 32-bit with McAfee?

Do you still have the other printers installed?

How did you install the printer?

What are you trying to scan? What program are you trying to scan to?

Start, all programs, ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint, ABBYY FineReader 6.0 Sprint

Is the above porgram installed?

Does this printer use the Dell All-In-One Center, Dell Imaging toolbox or Dell Printer Home?

What virus program and firewall are you using?

Rick

47 Posts

July 1st, 2012 16:00

Thank you for responding so quick.

Yes it is still using the Dell Inspiron530 Vista 32 bit with McAffee. I do not have the other printer installed.  I installed the printer from the driver that I downloaded from the dell website. I thought it might more up to date than the one in the box. I am  trying to scan simple doccuments printed material to start and maybe in the future pictures. I usually try and scan to Microsoft word 2007. I have Microsoft Office 2007.  I do have the ABBYY FineReader 6.0. It uses Dell Printer Home. I am using McAffee Virus Program and McAffee's Personal Firewall.

Hopefully I have answered the questions.

Jerry

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 1st, 2012 19:00

Jerry,

Try reading...

Update list of applications to send scans to

Of course you already read...

Allow a printer past McAfee

You can use the printer or Dell Printer Home to do the scans.

Rick

47 Posts

July 3rd, 2012 14:00

I followed the instructions to the letter without any success. I thought I might be able to include the files to show you what happened but I can't seem to find any options to allow me to do that.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 3rd, 2012 17:00

Jerry,

If you click on the toolbar, you can add an image here.

To do a screenshot, hit PrintScr or Alt and PrntScr

Open paint, then click on file and paste. Save the image. You can then add the image to your post.

Rick

47 Posts

July 4th, 2012 06:00

I used rich formatting in the above so I could insert the screenshots the first being the Dell Printer home and the second being the settings and the third being when I tried to click on scan to network foldersetings. I hoped this works.

Sorry for for being so difficult.

Jerry

47 Posts

July 4th, 2012 06:00

I am going to include 3 screenshots. The third one was when I clicked on the option scan to folder networks. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 4th, 2012 08:00

Jerry,

Can you go to the printer and press the power button and make sure it's on. If wireless, does this printer have a WiFi light? If yes, what color is it.

There was a model that when the printer went to sleep, it would give the communications message. Can you see if it works with the printer not sleeping?

I see we have a different look in our Dell Printer Home screenshots. I get...

For settings I see...

I do not see the scan to network settings. I'm wondering if there were issues with that and it may have been removed.

I can scan an image/document from the computer or I can go to the printer and send it from the computer to my computer.

You are not being difficult. Trying to find the answers so everything works smoothly is what the forums is about.

If you can explain in a little detail on what you're trying to do. I scan an image/document. I scan images using IrfanView so I can edit them before I save them. Documents, I use Open Office or Adobe Reader to scan to. To be able to scan/fax a document the OCR Program is needed.

Once I scan the document, I save the document to the location of my choice. My Dell 964 printer used to scan and keep a copy of the documents in the document folder and images in the pictures folder. This no longer does that.

Rick

47 Posts

July 4th, 2012 15:00

It is wireless and the light is green.When you mentioned the various software I started looking at windows help and support I typed scanners. When I found the utiliy the result was the screen shot. I wonder if my problem is the fact that computer doesn't recognize the scan driver for lack of a better phrase.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 4th, 2012 17:00

carlalaura,

You can scan only from the printer or Dell Printer Home.

Take a document with you and go to the printer. Put the document under the glass. Presss the power button and wake the printer. Push the scan button. In the screen, if should look for a list of computers, select the computer you want to scan to. It should then give a list of applications to send scans to. If you Update list of applications to send scans to the program shouls be on the list. Now select Microsoft Word (or Open Office swriter.exe). Press the scan button on the printer. It should scan and it may ask if you want to scan another document, select no. The printer will then send the scan to the computer and the OCR Program will convert the image to words.

If you get an error saying that the OCR Progam is not installed, let me know.

Rick

47 Posts

July 5th, 2012 13:00

I keep forgetting to thank you for your abundance of patience.

Jerry

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Jerry,

Check to see if McAffee is allowing the printer past it's firewall.

Allow a printer past McAfee

Rick

47 Posts

I followed your instructions and got the following results when I initialized the scan process my mcaffee recognized it as foreign object and asked for permission and I said always allow it then asked me if I wanted to scan another document and I said no it then scanned it to my documents folder in and saved as a PDF. It did not give me a list of applications.

Is this the default for saving documents if so how can I change this?

Jerry

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 5th, 2012 14:00

Jerry,

Not sure what you mean by...

I a m still curious to find out if you can the change the default setting to save it to save as  a txt file for example.

You can Update list of applications to send scans to you can select Microsoft Word(I use Open Office) and save the scan as a .rtf document. It goes through the OCR Program and saves it just like you printed it. You can also send the scans to Notepad.

Rick

No Events found!