Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 5th, 2009 21:00

Dell Printer Question

I have a Dell Photo 964  I changed the cartridges in it and it is still showing that they are empty and need to be changed however it prints fine.  I changed both of them with cartridges bought from Dell.  I have tried unplugging the power for a few minutes and plugging back in.  I tried removing the cartridges and putting them back in and I tried cleaning the cartridges under printer options any other ideas?

3 Posts

I tried all that what I find hard to believe is that both cartridges, replaced at the same time both show that they levels are low and need to be replaced on both the printer and the computer.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Itsi71,

Does the printer show the correct ink levels? Is it the computer that has the wrong ink levels?

Unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the printer for 60 seconds. This will reset any error messages the printer is getting. Now plug everything back in and power on the printer. Open the printer up and take out the black Dell Series 5 ink cartridge. Make sure the tape is off the cartridge and reseat the cartridge. Now do the same for the color Dell Series 5 ink cartridge. Close the printer. It should print an alignment page. Any error messages?

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 5 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 5th, 2009 22:00

Itsi71,

You are using Dell Series 5 ink cartridges, correct? People have bough refilled, or replacement cartridges that give errors like this, that's why I'm asking.

I have a 964 printer and I have seen different levels on the printer and my computer.

You could try re-installing the printer using the directions below and see what happens.

Make and model of your computer would be helpful. There are a few issues with a couple of model numbers.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Now install the proper Drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Or

Try this FREE OCR Program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

What happens now? 

Rick

No Events found!