stockwrock
1 Copper

Dell V313 printer will not let me print in black ink only unless i install a new color cartridge

i used to be able to print in black only when the color cartridge on my V313 ran dry.  now my printer refuses to allow me to print anything unless i buy and install a new color cartridge.  i print almost everything in black only, so this seems like a clever new program dell has recently provided via an update, and attempts to force customers to buy ink they don't need.  if this problem cannot be resolved, i will consult an attorney regarding a possible class action against Dell for coercing customers to buy unwanted and unneeded products.  any resolution is most welcome.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
IsaiahJones
2 Iron

RE: Dell V313 printer will not let me print in black ink only unless i install a new color cartridge

Hi Stockwrock,

As far as I know you should be able to print in black without installing new colored cartridges.

Check your settings and find a black only print mode.  In the Print dialog box (it  should appear after you start a print job) use the presets pull-down to find a black and white print mode.  

Hope this works for you. 

0 Kudos
stockwrock
1 Copper

RE: Dell V313 printer will not let me print in black ink only unless i install a new color cartridge

nope, the "print using black only" option is disabled when the printer senses the color cartridge is empty.  basically, the whole printer refuses to work unless one succumbs to the new coercion technique dell has come up with to sell ink.  outrageous.

0 Kudos

RE: V515W Printing Without Colour Ink?

stockwrock,

Your color cartridge got so low, the sensor in it will give a low ink message, it also happens with generic cartridges and some refilled cartridges. The will give low ink or prevent the printer from printing. Once the cartridge is replaced, the printer will allow you to print, using the black cartridge ONLY. Other computers on your network, unless the settings are changed on each system, will print using all available ink. Many manufactures of printers are using sensors in their ink cartridges. 

I have a Different model Dell Printer, Dell V715w Printer. I use the high capacity Dell Series cartridges and they usually last over a year. This can vary on the amount of printing that is done.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
stockwrock
1 Copper

Dell V313 printer will not let me print in black ink only unless i install a new color cartridge

dated: 4/24/2014 - i recently encountered the same problem with my Dell V313 printer.  i do not think you ever received a proper answer to your issue.  the "print using black only" option is no longer available when the printer senses the empty color cartridge.  in the past, i was able to print with only black ink, even when my color cartridge was empty.  it is <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> . if people tell you the printer uses color ink to print black.  apparently dell has cleverly arranged via updated programming in its chips for the printer to be completely disabled unless the owner succumbs via this new coercion to buy a color cartridge that isn't wanted, needed or used.  personally i think it is pretty outrageous, and worthy of a class action lawsuit if Dell does not promptly respond to us with a work around to resolve this issue.

0 Kudos