Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2011 21:00

Dell V313w network printing problems

I have several computers that print to a network V313w.   The problem seems to be from a PC and a laptop running Windows 7 64-bit.   The problem is intermittent printing.   I can print a document and then 30 seconds later it is 'stalled' in the printer que.    Sometimes unplugging the printer will correct the problem.    Sometimes I have to reboot the PC or laptop.    If I leave the document in the que and reboot the PC, when Windows comes back up the document prints!   One time, I had to power off the router.   I have read some discussions and forums but have not found an answer as of yet.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 11th, 2011 03:00

ekbaker44,

What type of security are you using on your network? What channel?

What virus program is installed on the Windows 7 64-bit computer?

Did you try these tweaks?

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

3 Posts

May 11th, 2011 05:00

Security is WPA (personal), channel is set to auto.

I have McAfee.

I have changed the power settings and rebooted.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 11th, 2011 06:00

ekbaker44,

Try channel 11. No changes needed for the printer, a channel change should not matter to the printer.

Allowing Printer past McAfee

1. Open the McAfee Security Center and then click on the ‘Internet and Network’

2. To the right of ‘Internet and Network’ you would see all the services that are present under it, just below that you would have a button ‘Configure’ please click on that.

3. Now you would have the Internet and Network Configuration, in this window you would have an option ‘Firewall Protection in Enabled’ to the right of that you would have a downward arrow, click on that.

4. Then click on the ‘Advanced’ button which would have a new screen up.

5. To the left of that window you would have ‘System Services’ click on it and to the right pane of the window you would have the ports listed.

6. Please check the option which is for ‘Windows File Sharing’ then click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘Ok’

7. Restart the computer

Rick

4 Posts

September 8th, 2011 00:00

Hi Guys~

I'm wondering if you ever found a solution for this problem.

I have the same printer, running the same system, experiencing the same problems. I've had these intermittent printing problems off and on since I bought the printer & laptop about a year ago, and would take the same steps to get it to print - usually a reboot. But about a week or so ago, not even a reboot will work anymore. I get a communication error no matter what. I just will not communicate, will not print.

I do not think the problem is mcafee, as I have avast installed on another computer in the house and it will no longer print from that computer either.

Today I downloaded and installed the latested firmware and drivers, hoping that would fix the problem, but no such luck. That is what brought me here. I followed the steps outlined above, but to no avail. Still no printing.

The only other thing I can figure is that my router is blocking it for some reason, but don't see why or how.

Let me know if you have found a solution. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

-J

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 8th, 2011 04:00

J,

Some wireless routers have a firewall. Turn off the firewall in the router.

Use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. If changing more than the channel, I would make a new SSID to make connecting easier.

Then run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print jobs in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Uninstall the printer, start, control panel, programs and features(add/remove programs) Dell V313 Printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

With the computer online, insert the Dell printer disk. Install as new printer, then follow the instructions. It wil prompt you when to connect the printer(powered on) Make sure the printer is connected to your network.

On the other computers, run delete print jobs and with the computer online, insert the printer disk. Choose add another computer, then follow the instructions.

Try this tweak...

Start, control
panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your
wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck
the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

3 Posts

September 8th, 2011 05:00

I finally gave up and connected the printer to my main PC by USB cable, since this is the PC we print most from.

No Events found!