Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 29th, 2009 16:00

Dell V505 & V505w All-In-One (PRODUCT) RED™ Printer owners thread (W7)

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java 

I recommend that you use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings to get the best communications between the printer and all the computers.

Disconnect the printer.

Uninstall the printer.

If using Windows 7 also try...Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP/Vista/Windows 7 32-bit drivers

XP/Vista/Windows 7 64-bit drivers

Other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on). Please make sure your computer is online when installing the drivers.

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

If using Windows 7, use the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility Vista SP2. Then right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator and follow the on screen instructions. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 5th, 2010 19:00

Occasionally on the V505 display, when selecting Scan to Network, one or more of the PC names are displayed incorrectly and you cannot scan to a networked PC.

It appears that  the V505's internal table of networked PCs has become corrupted.

To resolve this:

1. enter the IP address of the printer into a web browser (eg: 10.0.40.12)
  2. select 'Configure Device' and then fumble around until you find…
  3. Scan to Network Host Management
  4. Delete all PCs in the table
  5. on the rogue PC, right-click on the Dell Imaging toolbox on the toolbar and click Exit
  6. re-launch the dell imaging toolbar from Program Files

Step 5 & 6 just get things moving quickly on the problem PC. All PCs on the network that have the Dell drivers installed will automatically be picked-up and re-registered by the V505.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 29th, 2009 17:00

If you unplug the printer from the wall and remove the power brick for 60 seconds, this will reset any error messages the printer has. I would then plug everything back in.

Power on the printer. 

Open the printer(with the power on) and take out the Dell black cartridge and then reseat it. I would then take out the color Dell ink cartridge and reseat it. Now close the printer and it will print an alignment page.

Any error messages?

black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

photo cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would take these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

11 Posts

December 1st, 2009 18:00

Hi PudgyOne,

Thanks a million for this info...the v505w is causing a conflict with Windows 7 (the "Net framework 2.0" error, reported by others).  Dell has been zero help, after assuring me this product was Win7 compatible.  Grr...:emotion-39:  What the heck happened to Dell Support??  Used to be so great, now it has absolutely fallen off a cliff.

Anyway, this is the first promising info I have found.  Will report back once I have had a chance to follow instructions!

TOB

11 Posts

December 3rd, 2009 15:00

Update...Well, I installed everything, and thought I had it licked.  The new install eliminated the Net framework 2.0 error message.  But then tonight, the system wouldn't boot up.  I had to safe mode/system restore....which brought me back to the old printer installation!  Crazy.

It is pretty certain that the v505 installation caused the bootup problem, as nothing else changed on the system.  I will try again, I guess.  Note I never have set up the fax on any of these installs.

PudgyOne, or anyone else with useful insights, please chime in!  Dell, this unit is on its way back to you if these problems aren't solved PDQ!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2009 17:00

TOBmed,

I have sent a message to a friend that will have Dell's Printer people look into this, as you're not the first one I've heard things from. CLICK HERE

Not quite sure when I'll hear back as I work this weekend.

Rick

11 Posts

December 4th, 2009 04:00

Hi Rick,

That's great, thank you.  However, another update!  I missed the instruction on running in compatibility mode...I re-installed, this time checking compatibility with Vista SP2. I never would have thought to do that in a million years without your instruction.  So for now at least, it is working.  Wireless didn't work on the initial install, but I was able to fix that using the wireless setup wizard.  

The bootup problem was a little scary...all of a sudden, my brand-new computer wouldn't start up!  But that was fixed after system restore.  You may think I'm crazy, but I'm tempted to go back to original reconfiguration and do the whole thing over, now that I know how to do it right.  Hate to start out with a new OS by installing/reinstalling a printer several times, plus several system restores.

To recap for others who may be having this problem:

1. The software that ships with the v505w causes a conflict with Windows 7, with a startup error message that NET framework 2.0 is needed.  The error message also appears when you try to open the toolbox.  (You can't install net framework 2.0 in Win7.)

2. You need to uninstall this software and follow Rick's instructions above…being careful to DL the right driver (32 vs 64 bit) and run in compatibility mode!  (I was also able to install, so far successfully, the 32-bit driver on my Dell XP notebook.)

3. If you don't run in compatibility mode, your Win7 computer won't bootup!  You can deal with this by starting in safe mode and restoring to before the bad install.

I still haven't set up the fax.  It looks like the Abbyy OCR software is still there, but I haven't tried to use it yet.

I'm still astonished at Dell's failure to note that the driver update was needed, and especially at the uninterested, even hostile response from Dell Support.  Really a disappointment for a longtime customer.  They are lucky you're here, Rick!

TOB

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 4th, 2009 07:00

TOBmed,

Thank you for the nice compliments. Like I mentioned before, other members had mentioned that the software is crashing their computers. I have actually heard people say that they has to reformat their computers.

Faxing, not sure if this first option will work for you or not.

As for faxing, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the Fax Folder. In the Fax Folder, right click on setup.exe and left click run as administrator. This will install the Fax program.

If this does not work, then try...

BVRP PhoneTools for Faxing

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 8th, 2009 11:00

TOBmed,

Just got an update about the .net framework error.

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Error After Upgrading to Windows 7

Not sure if it will help or not.

Rick

11 Posts

December 9th, 2009 12:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the update.  That's progress, I guess...!  However, at least in my experience, if you try to install the driver in Win7as is (ie, not in compatibility mode), you are going to experience the bootup problem.

Everything's still working for me, though I'm afraid to set up the fax!  I'm planning to e-mail Tech Support with a link to this thread, and ask them if there's going to be a further update on the driver to solve the Win7 incompatibility issue once and for all.  Will let you know if I find out anything.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 9th, 2009 12:00

TOBmed,

Do you know what versions of .net framework you have installed?

I could figure out how to find this in Windows 7, so I used Belarc Advisor to find out. I have these versions installed.

Microsoft® .NET Framework Version 2.0.50727.4927
 Microsoft® .NET Framework Version 3.0.6920.4902

Rick

11 Posts

December 11th, 2009 11:00

Hi Rick,

Good question...I seem to have versions 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 11th, 2009 13:00

TOBmed,

Only other thing is to Download Latest Java

If it didn't work, I email my contact again for the next procedure.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 11th, 2009 18:00

TOBmed.

In Windows 7, every time you start the computer it makes a system restore point. So if you need to use system restore, then it's there.

Just try installing the fax software in the compatibility mode, it should install. If you have problems, system restore is there for you.

Rick

March 18th, 2010 14:00

Hey Rick,

I installed Windows 7.  I transferred all of my files!  Now I am working on my printer.  I downloaded from the Dell website the correct driver from my 32 bit Dell v505.  I am not able to run this in Vista compatibility mode.  It fully unzips and then the program gives me the home screen for installing the software.  Now what do I do?  I am not able to follow the right click, left click instructions.

Thanks.

Heather

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 19th, 2010 03:00

Heather,

I downloaded the drivers for my printer from Dell's website, Drivers & Downloads and saved them to my desktop. I then clicked on the drivers, left clicked properties and then clicked compatibility and selected Vista SP2. I then right clicked on the drivers, left click run as administrator and made sure the printer was online. After the printer installs, Windows 7 will ask you if this program installed properly. Do NOT answer this until you tested the printer to make sure it's working. If it does not work, then answer with the correct answer and Windows 7 will try it in the compatibility ode.

I know what you're talking about as I have a Dell V715w Wireless Printer and it satrted downloading from Dell's website. It installed with no problems.

Rick

No Events found!